History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Dodcott cum Wilkesley, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9791 / 52°58'44"N

Longitude: -2.587 / 2°35'13"W

OS Eastings: 360685

OS Northings: 342575

OS Grid: SJ606425

Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.J846

Mapcode Global: WH9BP.7DC0

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57062

Location: Dodcott cum Wilkesley, Cheshire East, SY13

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Dodcott cum Wilkesley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Burleydam St Mary and St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wrenbury

Listing Text

DODCOTT CUM WILKESLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD
SJ 64 SW
7/38 Church of St Michael
l2-1-67
GV II
Church. 1769 with additions of 1886. Built for the Cottons of
Combermere. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. The C18 church
was of cruciform plan to which two further transepts and a chancel
were added in 1886 as well as a new west wall and a north western
porch and a bellcote. Western end: slightly projecting brick plinth
with a chamfered top. Pilaster buttresses to either side. Ashlar
band upon which the three round arched windows rest with ashlar
surrounds and an ashlar band at the level of the springing of their
arches with keystones above. Stone cornice above this with a plain
frieze. Above the pilaster buttresses are ashlar fluted drums with
conical caps and ball finials. To the gable is a circular clock face
in a square surround with a swan-necked pediment above with a stylised
wafer and chalice set between the two halves of the pediment. Ashlar
coping to the gable with a cross to the apex. To the ridge behind
this is the bellcote which is of timber with a lead roof and splayed
wooden body which has a round-headed arch to each side and
weather-cock to the summit. The northern side has the porch of 1886
to the right which has a round arch with a console keystone and an
ashlar band at the level of the springing. Pedimental gable above
with a carving showing St George slaying the dragon. To either side
are porthole windows. Behind the porch is a blocked round-headed
window and to left are the two C18 bays being a transept with a round
arched window of two arched lights with a circular light to the apex.
Projecting keystone and springers. Pedimental gable above with an
ashlar surround. To the left again is a similar window. The southern
side of the nave is similar save that no porch has been imposed and it
therefore has 3 symmetrically disposed bays. The chancel addition of
1886 has to its southern side a vestry at left to the right of which
is a single-light round-headed window. The northern side has a
transept at right with 3 arched-headed lights and a porthole light to
the pedimental gable and a cross to the apex. To the left is a single
light round-headed window. The eastern end has a tripe round-headed
lancet window contained within a round relieving arch which has ashlar
springers and keystone with clasping pilaster buttresses to either
side and fluted drum finials with conical caps as at the western end.
The church was noted by Dr Johnson on his visit to Combermere in 1774.


Listing NGR: SJ6068542575

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.