History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse to Former Ridley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ridley, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0881 / 53°5'17"N

Longitude: -2.6779 / 2°40'40"W

OS Eastings: 354693

OS Northings: 354755

OS Grid: SJ546547

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.9J0G

Mapcode Global: WH88X.TMZZ

Entry Name: Gatehouse to Former Ridley Hall

Listing Date: 29 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56869

Location: Ridley, Cheshire East, CW6

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Ridley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bunbury St Boniface

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Beeston

Listing Text

SJ 55 SW RIDLEY C.P. WREXHAM ROAD

4/30 Gatehouse to former
Ridley Hall.

II*

Gatehouse, circa 1530 (Leland's Report). Stone and brick with roof of
large slates. Archway with floor above. Front and rear walls mainly
coursed stonework, passageway walls between the arched openings mainly
brickwork. The facade (south) has projecting plinth, ovolo moulded
quoins to archway, plain imposts and ovolo moulded segmental arch with
scotia hood mould. The stonework is separated from the brick section
above by a slender ogee cornice. At the crown of the arch the cornice
supports a carved stone achievement of arms consisting of the Egerton
escutcheon flanked by term pilasters, with heads, and scrolls
supporting horn players and animals. This is set in a brick wall with
quoins which supports the roof. The rear (north) archway is similar
to the facade but the imposts are moulded and there are no arms in the
brick area above the stone cornice.
Interior: The ceiling, between the two arches, has ovolo moulded
beams front and rear, an ovolo moulded main beam, and large section
stop chamfered joists supporting the oak boarded floor above. The
pitched roof over the gatehouse has been retimbered but some chamfered
purlins remain. Later farm buildings flank the archway east and west.
This structure may be all that remains of the "fine Ridley Hall"
mentioned in Leland's Itinerary of 1530, in which case it is among the
earlier Classical Structures of the region.


Listing NGR: SJ5469354755

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.