This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0489 / 53°2'56"N
Longitude: -2.5905 / 2°35'25"W
OS Eastings: 360512
OS Northings: 350345
OS Grid: SJ605503
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.CTH5
Mapcode Global: WH9B9.5MPH
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138586
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56872
Location: Baddiley, Cheshire East, CW5
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Baddiley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Baddiley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 65 SW BADDILEY C.P. BADDILEY HALL LANE
3/2 Church of St. Michael
Parish church, chancel 1308 (dated vicars list) nave 1811 (Pevsner).
red brick in Flemish bond and brick nogged timber frame with tile
roof. Low 2-bay chancel, loftier 3-bay nave. The chancel (east)
gable has cruck blades rising from vertical corner posts. There is a
small trefoil window in the apex of the cruck, at yoke level, and a
stained glass, 3-light "Y" tracery, memorial window, with rounded
head, at altar level. The chancel north and south elevations are
brick-nogged close-studding without rails. The chancel south door is
Gothic headed with vertical boards externally and horizontal boards
internally. It is hung on strap hinges, has oakcased lock and old
metal latch. This is flanked by 3-light round-headed mullion windows
with leaded lattice glazing and old coloured glass. Part of the
chancel has a sandstone plinth. Lean-to-vestry has small window with
intersecting tracery. The nave has a weathered, projecting, sandstone
band, one metre above ground level, and is divided into bays by
3-bricks wide by l½-bricks deep pilaster-buttresses between windows
and the corners.
Gothic headed 3-light nave windows with intersecting tracery,
rectangular leaded lights, stone sills, springers, keystone and
hoodmoulds. The windows nearest to the east gable, both sides, are
blocked. The nave (west) gable-end has pairs of brick pilasters
flanking an inset porch with Gothic head, springers and keystone. The
porch contains side seats and a pair of double-faced panelled doors.
The gable has planted timbers with plastered panels and is surmounted
by a replaced, louvred, bell turret which sits astride the ridge.
Interior: Oak communion rail, with splat balusters in Jacobean style,
inscribed W:W D:CW dated 1701. Arch-braced rafter roof with high
collars and ashlar pieces giving continuous curve, also an internal
jointed cruck. One early C16 bench end with linenfold panelling and
poppy-head. Marble wall memorial to Sir Thomas Mainwaring dated 1726.
A six-panel door leads to the small vestry.
A screen, originally of six moulded posts, supporting a C15 style
moulded beam at eaves level, separates the chancel from the nave. The
plastered wall above this is divided into five panels by painted
columns and the panels recite The Lord's Prayer, the 20th Chapter of
Exodus, The Commandments and The Creed. The centre panel has two
coats of arms including the Royal Arms and the date 1663. A
three-tier panelled pulpit fronts the screen on the north side of the
nave: this is softwood with Gothic headed panels. The nave is fitted
with softwood bead-and-flush panelled box pews. Octagonal stone font
contains alabaster vessel with flame shaped knob. The west gallery is
supported by four 3-shaft timber columns and is fronted by Gothic
headed panels. The access to the Gallery is via a staircase of
winders. At Gallery level two wall panels record wills of benefactors
who left money to the poor of the parish. The nave ceiling is formed
into panels by C15 style moulded purlins supported by moulded cambered
tie beams with braces to carved timber bosses. Plastered wall and
Listing NGR: SJ6051150344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings