History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II Listed Building in Alsager, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0961 / 53°5'45"N

Longitude: -2.3071 / 2°18'25"W

OS Eastings: 379535

OS Northings: 355475

OS Grid: SJ795554

Mapcode National: GBR 01N.ZGW

Mapcode Global: WH9B7.JFMT

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138757

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56477

Location: Alsager, Cheshire East, ST7

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Alsager

Built-Up Area: Alsager

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Alsager St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Alsager

Listing Text

ALSAGER FORMER U.D. CREWE ROAD
SJ 75 NE
6/7 Church of St Mary
Magdalene
-
- II

Church. 1894-98. By Austin and Paley. Red sandstone ashlar with a
plain tile roof. Western tower, aisled nave and chancel with
north-eastern organ chamber and vestry. Tower: (intended to be
taller with a steeple); it has diagonal buttresses. The west face has
a central window of 4 lights with cusped tracery and double
casement-moulded surround and hood mould. The south face has a
semi-octagonal stair turret to left. Nave, south side: the aisle has
a projecting porch at left with diagonal buttresses and a 4-centred
arch with rosettes superimposed over the arch mouldings. Niche
containing statue of the patron saint over the doorway. Hipped roof
with lead finial. To right of this are 5 aisle windows, one having 2
lights and four having 3 lights, with Decorated tracery. The
clerestory has five 2-light windows with flat heads. The north side
is similar save for a lower projecting porch at right and five windows
of 3 lights to the aisles. Chancel: the south side has three windows
of 2 lights with flat heads and hood moulds divided by buttresses with
off-sets. The north side has a vestry and organ chamber at left with
hipped and gabled roofs respectively. The east end has a central
window of 6 lights with cinquefoil heads and quatrefoils to the apex.
Interior: Double-chamfered tower arch. The thick side walls of the
tower have panelled, pointed arched passages to their centres. The
aisle arcades of 5 bays have elliptical piers, each with 4 fillets and
the arch mouldings die into these piers. The chancel arch has
similarly shaped responds. The aisle and clerestory windows all have
chamfered surrounds. The nave roof has a wooden barrel vault with
arched braces supported on ashlar corbels with tie beams and king
posts from which spring curved struts. The chancel has a 2-bay arcade
to its northern wall leading to the vestry and organ chamber with a
central pier similar to those of the nave arcades. The southern and
eastern window reveals have colonettes to either side. Piscina and
sedilia to the lower southern wall. Reredos and chancel screen of
1926 showing late Gothic revival carving of high quality. Square font
beneath the tower with chamfered corners.


Listing NGR: SJ7953555475

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.