This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5468 / 51°32'48"N
Longitude: -0.1459 / 0°8'45"W
OS Eastings: 528663
OS Northings: 184729
OS Grid: TQ286847
Mapcode National: GBR DW.9WN
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.FD72
Entry Name: Richard of Chichester Catholic Secondary School and Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477809
Location: Camden, London, NW5
Electoral Ward/Division: Kentish Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Silas the Martyr with Holy Trinity Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2884NE PRINCE OF WALES ROAD
798-1/54/1348 (North side)
14/05/74 Richard of Chichester Catholic
Secondary School & gates & railings
(Formerly Listed as:
PRINCE OF WALES ROAD
Gates & Railings to Camden School
School. Block fronting Prince of Wales Road built 1849.
Architect Thomas Henry Wyatt and David Brandon, built as 'Aged
Governesses Asylum'. Altered and enlarged 1877-9 for Camden
School for Girls, by EC Robins. Ragstone with slate roofs. 2
storeys, 3 gabled bays. 2-storey bay window on central bay,
with small gargoyles at the angles, at cornice level.
INTERIORS not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gates and railings: both pairs of double
gates have come from elsewhere. Gates in 1700-25 style and
influenced style of railings. Wrought-iron. Right hand gate
segmental-arched with scrolled overthrow including initials
"GI"; openwork box piers surmounted by scrollwork and finials.
Double gates to left with delicate scrollwork overthrow and
openwork box piers surmounted by complex scrollwork and
finials. Railings with urn finials and alternate rails with
double curved motif taken from the gates.
Listing NGR: TQ2866384729
Other nearby listed buildings