This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5411 / 51°32'27"N
Longitude: -0.1893 / 0°11'21"W
OS Eastings: 525670
OS Northings: 184018
OS Grid: TQ256840
Mapcode National: GBR 11.PR
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.NJTG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and Attached Walls, Piers and Gates
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477813
Location: Camden, London, NW6
Electoral Ward/Division: Kilburn
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Kilburn St Mary
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2584SE PRIORY ROAD
798-1/59/1352 (East side)
14/05/74 Church of St Mary and attached
walls, piers and gates
Church. 1856-62. By FJ and Horace Herbert Francis. Coursed
Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Slated roof.
Sanctuary with southern chapel and northern vestry, transepts,
4-bay nave with clerestory and lean-to aisles, and south-west
tower. Middle-pointed Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: entrances in south side of tower and west end with
moulded pointed arches on colonnettes and double doors. Tower
has diagonal buttresses, clock on south face, louvred belfry
openings and broach spire with lucarnes. 5-light east and west
windows; 4-light transepts. Aisles with corbel table.
Clerestory with unusual 3-light windows under shallow gables
linked to pilasters flanked by colonnettes; Lombard frieze.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to have a fragment of an
early C15 brass, being a nun's head, possibly Emma de St Omer
the prioress, set in the north transept. Stained glass in
chancel by Clayton and Bell; memorial window in north aisle
commemorating RJ Pitcher, organist and Professor of Singing at
the Guildhall School of Music who invented a device called the
Techniquer to help novice organists master the pedals.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached ragstone walls with gate piers
and cast-iron gates to entrances.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built on the assumed site of the nunnery of
(RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: 1925-: 39).
Listing NGR: TQ2567084018
Other nearby listed buildings