History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitley, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3054 / 53°18'19"N

Longitude: -2.5802 / 2°34'48"W

OS Eastings: 361436

OS Northings: 378869

OS Grid: SJ614788

Mapcode National: GBR BZF6.6V

Mapcode Global: WH994.B5LW

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 8 January 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57588

Location: Whitley, Cheshire West and Chester, WA4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Whitley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Aston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Daresbury

Listing Text

SJ 67 NW WHITLEY C.P. THE VILLAGE
Lower Whitley

5/119 Church of St Luke

8/1/70

GV II*

Church, a chapel rebuilt at expense of Thomas Touchet late C16 and
roofed early C17; the exterior altered and much restored 1864 and
later. English garden wall bond brown brickwork with stone dressings;
grey slate roofs. A small church with west porch, north-west
bell-turret, organ chamber, 1879, expressed as south transept, chancel
and polygonal-apse sanctuary. Softwood-framed west porch on brick
plinth; small, square, diminishing turret with 1 bell in stone belfry
and slate spire. Mullioned windows of red sandstone have round-arched
lights; pointed 3-light East window with rudimentary tracery.
Interior: Outstanding hammer-beam arch-braced collar trusses, 4 in
nave and 3 in chancel, have richly-carved scrolly console brackets
with volutes and foliar patterns on main faces and humorously small
Atlases and beasts on the lower scrolls struggling to support the
overhanging brackets; good turned drop finials; lower arrises of
hammer-beams, principal rafters and purlins have recesses carved with
corbel-blocks; split quatrefoil windbraces in chancel. roof. Common
rafters and roof-boarding replaced. Pointed stone chancel-arch
contemporary with roof. Sanctuary and oak screen look mid-Victorian;
organ 1879; late C19 glass in memory of Frances Belcrow.


Listing NGR: SJ6143678869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.