This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.298 / 53°17'52"N
Longitude: -2.5536 / 2°33'12"W
OS Eastings: 363201
OS Northings: 378037
OS Grid: SJ632780
Mapcode National: GBR BZL9.YG
Mapcode Global: WH994.RC6J
Entry Name: Cogshall Grange, with Outbuildings
Listing Date: 27 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139136
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57491
Location: Comberbach, Cheshire West and Chester, CW9
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Comberbach
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Great Budworth St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 67 NW COMBERBACH C.P. HALL LANE
5/27 Cogshall Grange, with
Stables of Cogshall Hall, now house, circa 1830. Flemish bond
red-brown brick; graded grey slate roof. Plinth, band at 1st floor
and moulded cornice with plain parapet of stone. 2 storeys, 7
windows. Pedimented central bay projects slightly, with octagonal
cupola on roof on 7 Tuscan columns and 1 replaced octagonal post, of
wood. Basket-arched central entry now contains late C20 6-panelled
oak door with sidelights. 12-pane recessed sashes with cambered
gauged-brick arches and projecting stone cills. Evidently formerly
accommodation for stable staff, the wing is little altered externally.
Former coach-house projects, left, with 3 basket-arched openings on
inner face, the central one in slightly projecting pedimented bay.
Walled yard behind house links the building to parallel stable block;
basket-arched driftway with round-arched openings to haylofts; 5
camber-arched stable doorways, 4 with divided doors; 2 stone-lined
pitching eyes in projecting left wing and 4 in rear wing; 3 rows of
staggered diamond-shaped vents in each wing; high brick wall links
rear of house to stable block left; lower wall with entrance to yard,
right. Circular recessed watering pool in yard.
The gable-ends of all blocks are pedimented.
The stables were evidently part of the design for Cogshall Hall, q,v.
Listing NGR: SJ6320178037
Other nearby listed buildings