History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norley, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2507 / 53°15'2"N

Longitude: -2.6598 / 2°39'35"W

OS Eastings: 356075

OS Northings: 372830

OS Grid: SJ560728

Mapcode National: GBR 9ZVV.ZF

Mapcode Global: WH999.3KQB

Entry Name: Church of St John Evangelist

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139162

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57446

Location: Norley, Cheshire West and Chester, WA6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Norley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Norley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Cuddington

Listing Text

NORLEY C.P. NORLEY ROAD
SJ 57 SE
(North Side)
4/20 Church of St.John
Evangelist

GV II*

Church: 1878-9 by J.L.Pearson. Tooled ashlar red sandstone, red tile
roof. Later C13 style, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and
vestry, central tower and north transepts. Gabled buttressed porch at
left end of south side approached by 11 steps. 2-centred
double-chamfered arched entrance on colonnettes. 2-light nave windows
with quatrefoil plate tracery. Broad, sturdy tower divides nave and
chancel and has a taller similar window in lowest stage, clock in the
middle; the top stage has pairs of moulded 2-light louvred bell
openings with line of corbelling above. Delicate band of ball
ornament carries plain parapet with triangular coping. Lancets in the
chancel, and the east end has a trio of tall windows with Y-tracery
with a pair of blocked quatrefoils above.
Interior: 4-bay arcade to north aisle whose columns become more ornate
towards the sanctuary, from round to multi-shafted. Splayed reveals
to aisle and nave windows, and wagon roof to nave. Crossing arches on
clusters of colonnettes. Chancel has simple sedilia and oak reredos.
Willis organ in the transept. The square font with quatrefoils
probably comes from the earlier church of 1835.


Listing NGR: SJ5607572830

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.