History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Foxwood Farmhouse Garden Wall and Gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Peover Superior, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2487 / 53°14'55"N

Longitude: -2.3136 / 2°18'48"W

OS Eastings: 379173

OS Northings: 372450

OS Grid: SJ791724

Mapcode National: GBR DZ8W.X5

Mapcode Global: WH99G.FLJW

Entry Name: Foxwood Farmhouse Garden Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 28 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139312

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59098

Location: Peover Superior, Cheshire East, WA16

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Peover Superior

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Over Peover St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Goostrey

Listing Text

PEOVER SUPERIOR C.P. (Off) GROTTO LANE
SJ 77 SE

5/59 Foxwood Farmhouse,
garden wall and gate
piers

GV II

Farmhouse. Mid to late C17 with C18 portion. Datestone reads "This
House/Was Built By/John and Ann/Wright 1762". Red Flemish bond brick
with slate roof. Two storeys, roughly T-shaped plan with the mid to
late C17 portion to the downstroke. Entrance front: (C18). Three
bays symmetrically disposed. Central ground floor door with cambered
head and keystone in slightly projecting gabled bay. C19 4-panel half
glazed door and wooden tympanum. Three-light C19 casements to either
side set in cambered headed surrounds with keystones. Similar
treatment to three first floor windows. Oval stone plaque above
central first floor window. Early C19 addition to left with 3-light
cambered-headed windows to ground and first floors. Later C19 lean-to
to left again. Attached to the front is a garden wall forming a
roughly rectangular enclosure, c. 3' high with a cambered stone
coping. Stone gatepiers opposite front door, square in section with
chamfered plinths, beaded corners and abacus capitals. The brick wall
ramps up on either side. The piers support urns with gadrooned lower
bodies and gadrooned knop finials. Rear: Mid-late C17 wing adjoins
the centre of the 1762 addition. Stone plinth. 6 x 3 cells of small
framing to right hand side wall (partly damaged by fire this century)
angle and tension braces to left hand corners.
Interior of Cl7 wing: Chamfered beams to ground floor. One panel of
wattle and daub to first floor.


Listing NGR: SJ7917372450

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.