This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3723 / 53°22'20"N
Longitude: -2.5434 / 2°32'36"W
OS Eastings: 363943
OS Northings: 386300
OS Grid: SJ639863
Mapcode National: GBR BYPF.5T
Mapcode Global: WH98R.XH1K
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 8 January 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59014
Location: Grappenhall and Thelwall, Warrington, WA4
Civil Parish: Grappenhall and Thelwall
Built-Up Area: Warrington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Grappenhall St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 68 NW
CANAL SIDE (north side)
Church of St.Wilfrid
Church, C12 (nave and corbel-table), 1334 (South Chapel), 1525-39 (tower and most of fabric), 1834 and 1874 (clerestorey). Red sandstone with slate roof. West tower, aisled nave with south chapel, chancel, vestry and north transept. Tower of 3 stages has Tudor-arched west door, restored 4-light west window with panel tracery, diagonal west buttresses and square east buttresses, paired bell-openings with quatrefoil heads and crenellation. Aisle windows have round-headed mullioned lights. South chapel has reticulated tracery. Clerestorey windows have paired round-headed lights. Vestry east window (moved from chancel) has 5 lights with panel tracery.The south porch and north transept are probably 1874, by Paley and Austin.
Interior. Continuous nave and chancel of 7 bays with 6-bay aisles. Octagonal pillars with plainly-moulded caps carry double-chamfered arches. Easternmost south window of south aisle has C14 glass (re-arranged 1834) depicting St. John Baptist, St. Thomas, St. Bartholomew (flayed, carrying his skin over right arm), St. Mary Magdalene, St. James (or a pilgrim), St. Philip and an unidentified saint. The east window of south aisle by Mayer of Munich and London. Fragments of medieval glass elsewhere. Effigy in chancel (north side)of Sir William Boydell, died 1275, found in churchyard and placed in church 1874, restored. Norman arcaded rectangular font, found in churchyard and reinstated in nave 1874. C13 dugout chest. Peal of 8 bells: 5 by Bagley of Ecton Northants 1700, one by Richard Sanders 1718, the treble recast by J. Taylor of Loughborough 1890 and the 4th by Mears and Stainbank, who supplied 2 new bells, 1890.
Listing NGR: SJ6394286299
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings