This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2088 / 53°12'31"N
Longitude: -2.2257 / 2°13'32"W
OS Eastings: 385022
OS Northings: 367994
OS Grid: SJ850679
Mapcode National: GBR 11R.VGJ
Mapcode Global: WHBBT.SLBX
Plus Code: 9C5V6Q5F+GP
Entry Name: Church of St James and St Paul
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58610
Location: Marton, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Marton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Marton St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 86 NE,
(Off) CONGLETON ROAD,
Church of St James and St Paul
Church. c1370. Restored by J M Derick in 1850 and by William
Butterfield in 1871. Timber-framed with rendered infill and brick
with stone plinth and stone slate roof. C20 brick extension to
chancel. Western tower with West, North and South lean-to porch roofs
(as with Essex Towers) and Spire. Nave with side aisles, all under
the same roof pitch. Chancel. Tower: western arched doorway with
C20 plank door incorporating C17 iron strap hinges. Two-light window
above and single-light windows to either side of C19 date. Close
studding to walls of porches with inserted C19 single-light windows.
Shingled square tower above with C19 wooden louvred belfry openings.
Shingled broach spire ending in weather-vane with cock to apex. Nave:
Close studded walls with 3-light wooden rectangular windows of three
cusped lights (as opposed to the original two-light format). South
front, porch to second bay from left with pointed arch, having ovolo
mouldings to outer and inner faces and fillet moulding. Small framing
to sides of porch. North face similar save for absence of porch.
Chancel: Flush with nave but having lower roof. Four-light
rectangular window with cusped lights. Close-studded walls with
middle rail. Eastern wall: Central C20 brick projection with central
semi-circular arched window and segment-headed lancets to either side.
Semi-circular lancets to aisles. Boilerhouse to right-hand lower
INTERIOR: Three-bay nave with aisles. Arcades of octagonal timber
piers with moulded capitals and bases supporting chamfered arched
braces across nave and to sides forming arcade arches. Ties of aisles
also spring from arcade capitals and are supported by arched braces
from aisle piers and wall posts and bear vertical struts connecting
them to aisle principals. Cambered ties to nave roof which has king
posts. C19 chancel at west of 2 bays. Spere truss at west with close
studding to corner walls. Angle braces and king post. Wall painting
on eastern wall of the spere showing outlines of figures. Tower lobby
has massive vertical timbers on stone footings partially replaced by
Butterfield. Bell ringing platform and ladder.
Source: Nikolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of
England : Cheshire
Listing NGR: SJ8502467994
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings