History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Millington, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3656 / 53°21'56"N

Longitude: -2.4139 / 2°24'49"W

OS Eastings: 372557

OS Northings: 385494

OS Grid: SJ725854

Mapcode National: GBR CYLJ.67

Mapcode Global: WH98T.WNQQ

Entry Name: The Chapel House

Listing Date: 18 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139540

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58492

Location: Millington, Cheshire East, WA14

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Millington

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Rostherne St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Lymm

Listing Text

The following building shall be added;

SJ78NW MILLINGTON REDDY LANE
(Westside)
Arthill
1/35
The Chapel House

II


Non-conformist chapel and attached cottage, under conversion to single
dwelling at time of survey. 1759 with early C19 additions and C20
alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond (English bond to rear); Welsh slate
roof, the front slates graduated. New 2 storeys throughout, 3:2 bays. Former
chapel on left has 6-panel door beneath segmental brick arch with keystone;
small casement window over. To left of door are 2 large, round-headed windows
with projecting stone sills, C20 casements and brick arches with keystones.
To right of door is a casement under segmental arch with keystone and a
blocked doorway (now window) with similar head; C20 3-light casement window
over. Early C19 cottage set slightly back on right has chequered brickwork
with pale headers and has two C20 casements with glazing bars to ground floor
and single window above. The range of buildings has boxed eaves and brick end
stacks. Rear: much altered; remains of 2 segmental arches in rear wall of
chapel. Interior: altered; floor inserted in chapel over which are 2 original
King-post trusses, one now with tie-beam cut through. Built by followers of
John Johnson (Baptist Minister in Liverpool 1741-7); in late C19 became a
preaching station of Higher Lane Chapel, Lymm; used from 1924 as house and
workshop. Listed primarily for its historical importance in the development
of non-conformist worship in this area.

Urwick, History of Non-conformism in the County Palatine of Chester, 1864,
p450.

Whitley, Baptists in the North West of England 1649 - 1913, 1913, pp66, 124,
151


Listing NGR: SJ7255785494

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.