History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Premises Occupied by Jr Bridgeford, Estate Agents, Williams and Glyn's Bank and the Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Prestbury, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2886 / 53°17'18"N

Longitude: -2.1522 / 2°9'8"W

OS Eastings: 389948

OS Northings: 376853

OS Grid: SJ899768

Mapcode National: GBR FZDD.VV

Mapcode Global: WHBBG.XL9S

Entry Name: Premises Occupied by Jr Bridgeford, Estate Agents, Williams and Glyn's Bank and the Library

Listing Date: 6 July 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139578

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58375

Location: Prestbury, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Prestbury

Built-Up Area: Macclesfield

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Prestbury

Listing Text

SJ 87 NE PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE
(South Side)

5/209 Premises occupied by
J.R.Bridgeford, Estate
Agents, Williams and
Glyn's Bank and the
Library.

GV II

Formerly school and schoolmaster's house, now office, bank and
library. School dared 1721, master's house dated 1751, some C20
alterations. Washed brick, Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and
2 brick chimneys. T-shaped plan, 2-storey, 5-bay front. Left 3 bays
on slight plinth and have a brick band at 1st floor. 4, 3-light tall
chamfered stone mullions andstudded C20 board door. 4th bay projects
on wooden piers and has large window with glazing bars. Right end bay
has 2 C20 windows and plaque reading "The Gift of Charles Legh of
Adlington Esq. to ye Master (for ye time being) of ye .....oming Free
School at Prestbury A.D,1751." Left gable has plaque reading: "This
School was Erected in ye year of our Lord 1721 and Endowed by Ann
Whittakers Late of Prestbury who left £100 ye interest thereof for the
Promotion of a Schoolmaster to teach ten of the poorest Children in
the Township of Prestbury from the Primer to ye Bible at ye Discretion
of the Executors and ye Overseers of the Poor of ye said Township."


Listing NGR: SJ8994876853

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.