History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Elizabeth

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashley, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3557 / 53°21'20"N

Longitude: -2.3434 / 2°20'36"W

OS Eastings: 377238

OS Northings: 384362

OS Grid: SJ772843

Mapcode National: GBR DY2M.GT

Mapcode Global: WH98V.ZX7C

Entry Name: Church of St Elizabeth

Listing Date: 20 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58384

Location: Ashley, Cheshire East, WA14

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Ashley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Ashley St Elizabeth

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Ashley

Listing Text

SJ 78 SE ASHLEY C.P. ASHLEY ROAD

4/9 Church of St Elizabeth

II


Church. 1880. By the Honourable Wilbraham Egerton MP. Red English
garden wall bond brick and terracotta, red tile roof. Broad,
aisleless plan. Nave, chancel, transepts, N.E. vestry and south-west
porch. Nave elevation: 3 bays have windows of free perpendicular
form; corbel table with chevron moulding between; gabled buttresses
with setbacks. Transept windows Decorated. Chancel windows are
arcuated triangles containing 3 trefoils. East end gabled with window
of Decorated form. West front: angle buttresses and deep nave
buttresses, stepped and gable capped. Range of 3 lancet windows with
colonnettes between and trefoil heads of moulded brick, trefoil
rose-window of rubbed brick with semi-circular lead moulding.
Bellcote of 2 lancets one containing a bell with quatrefoil and
gargoyles above. South-west porch has gabled roof. Hollow chamfered
entrance arch of rubbed brick with chevron moulding to gable. Scissor
beam roof truss, original iron gates and lanterns.
Interior: has arched beams on stone corbels, diagonal panelling to
roof. Hammer beams in chancel. The Honorable Wilbraham Egerton
became 2nd Baron Egerton of Tatton in 1883 and was created Viscount
Salford and Earl Egerton of Tatton in 1887; he designed the smoking
room and family entrance at Tatton Park and there are architectural
drawings for further schemes by him amongst the estate papers.


Listing NGR: SJ7723884362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.