History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in South Bank, Redcar and Cleveland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5797 / 54°34'46"N

Longitude: -1.1783 / 1°10'41"W

OS Eastings: 453210

OS Northings: 520806

OS Grid: NZ532208

Mapcode National: GBR NH6H.P2

Mapcode Global: WHD70.W42Z

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 29 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139622

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60364

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS6

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: South Bank

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: South Bank St John

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Middlesbrough

Listing Text

SOUTH BANK MIDDLESBROUGH ROAD
NZ 52 SW
north side
3/102 Church of St. Peter
G.V. II

Roman Catholic Church, 1903/05 by Lowther (Hull). Brick with stone
dressings; plain clay tile roofs. Disoriented, terms used are ritual.
Continuous aisled nave and chancel with half-octagonal apse, south porch,
short pent transepts, and north-west tower. Decorated style with
curvilinear tracery and French Gothic style tower. 3-stage tower has angle
buttresses rising to short pyramid-capped turrets. Lower stages have
lancets under hoodmoulds; canted porch in north face. Paired lancet bell
openings with louvres and cusped heads. Clock faces below eaves of
steeply-pitched, sprocketed, hipped roof, with ball-and-spike finials. West
end of nave has similar angle buttresses, flanking boarded double doors,
with scrolled strap hinges, under shouldered heads, in paired pointed
surrounds of 3 moulded orders on nook shafts and foliate capitals. Enriched
hoodmoulds, gargoyles in spandrels and richly-carved tympana. Tall paired
windows with nook shafts, flanking figure of St. Peter in niche with
enriched corbel and hood. Rood in gable. 4-bay north aisle and 5-bay south
aisle; each has hip-roofed canted projecting chapel. Gabled porch has
similar doors and surround. Transepts canted at east ends. Tapered timber
and metal ridge vent, on nave, has cusped-headed openings, ogee-domed roof
and weather vane; louvres missing. INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades have compound
granite shafts and foliate capitals. Round wall shafts, with carved
capitals, between apse windows. Foundation stone dated 1903 on north side
of apse. West gallery, holding organ, over glazed timber screen. Ceiled
hammerbeam roof has cusped curved braces with enriched pendants. Pointed
cross-vaulting in aisles. Stucco stations of cross on aisle walls. Wrought
iron screens in easternmost bays of arcades. Similar communion rails.
Later house and offices, adjoining north side of chancel, are not of special
interest.


Listing NGR: NZ5321020806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.