This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5881 / 54°35'17"N
Longitude: -1.0822 / 1°4'56"W
OS Eastings: 459406
OS Northings: 521819
OS Grid: NZ594218
Mapcode National: GBR NHWD.H2
Mapcode Global: WHF80.BYW2
Plus Code: 9C6WHWQ9+64
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60308
Location: Kirkleatham, Redcar and Cleveland, TS10
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Dormanstown
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkleatham
Church of England Diocese: York
Tagged with: Church building
NZ 52 SE
4/52 Church of St. Cuthbert
Church c.1763, by Robert Corney (Coatham), architect and builder; lower
part of tower 1731; late C18 porch; vestry 1855. On site of Anglo-Saxon
church; adjoining mausoleum of 1740 q.v. Vertically-tooled sandstone
ashlar; dressed sandstone to lower 3 stages of tower. Roofs of Lakeland
slate, lead and felt. Palladian style. West tower; aisled nave with south
porch; chancel with north tomb chamber and vestry. 4-stage tower has
chamfered plinth, and vice and buttress in angles between tower and nave.
4-panel door in north face; circular west window with plain surround, below
round-headed window with keystone, both with leaded glazing. Top stage has
chamfered quoins and louvred round-headed bell openings with keystones.
Cornice on consoles, under straight parapet with obelisk angle finials, each
on 4 spheres. 4-bay nave with projecting porch in western bay. 3-panel
double doors in architrave with double keystone, under pediment on consoles.
Straight parapet with moulded copings; flat roof. Porch obscures lower part
of taller, pedimented doorway in round-headed recess. Round-headed windows
with plain inset surrounds and aprons, in tall recesses with moulded impost
bands. Early C20 leaded glazing. Blocked north doorway holds similar
window. Nave and chancel have plinth, chamfered quoins, modillioned eaves
cornice and parapet with moulded copings. 3-bay chancel has blind
round-headed niches flanking central round-headed recess with moulded impost
bands, holding doorway with architrave and double keystone under pediment on
consoles, now holding mid C20 window. Similar recess in east wall holds
Ionic Venetian window; pedimented gable. Hipped mansard roof on nave.
Lean-to tomb chamber and flat-roofed vestry. INTERIOR: 4-bay Roman Doric
colonnades define aisles. Windows have stucco archivolts and moulded impost
strings. Doorways have pediments on consoles. 3-bay pedimented Ionic
screen fronts former tomb chamber, now obscurred by early C20 organ.
Pointed Gothick doorway to mausoleum (q.v.) 1740 by Gibbs; moulded stone
surround holds carved partly open-traceried doors under stucco open pediment
on consoles with drops, vase at apex flanked by reclining putti; winged
angel head in tympanum above festoons. Corniced ceilings with 2 late C19
louvred circular gas vents in nave. Stained glass, 1931 by A.K. Nicholson
(London) in east window. Altered box pews, and inlaid panelled pulpit.
Panelled choir stalls, 1919, with carving and poppy-head ends. Panelled oak
altar and dado panelling in chancel, 1931 by Hicks and Charlewood
(Newcastle). Balusters missing from carved communion rails. Marble wall
monuments in chancel. On north wall, to John Turner and Elizabeth Turner,
c.1659 by Joshua Marshall : cartouche with latin epitaph and skull finial,
in niche with moulded surround and carved shields in spandrels, in aedicule
with sculptured achievement of arms and bolection-moulded apron. On south
wall, life-sized figure of John Turner, d.1688, robed as Sergeant-at-Law, in
enriched aedicule with arms and epitaph. C17 floor slabs; and brass to
Robert Coulthirst d.1631: male figure, arms of Merchant Taylor's Company and
inscribed border, on sanctuary floor. C15 floor slabs in nave, one the
matrix of a brass. Carved C14 grave cover showing recumbent female figure;
and Anglo-Saxon coffin. Marble octagonal baluster font, on wide stone step,
c.1740 probably by Gibbs: gadrooning to underside of bowl with moulded rim.
C17 carved wood octagonal tented cover.
Listing NGR: NZ5941421823
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings