This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5428 / 54°32'34"N
Longitude: -0.9783 / 0°58'42"W
OS Eastings: 466193
OS Northings: 516873
OS Grid: NZ661168
Mapcode National: GBR PHLX.Z9
Mapcode Global: WHF8F.Y29R
Entry Name: Church of St Aidan
Listing Date: 25 May 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139718
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60112
Location: Lockwood, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Lockwood
Built-Up Area: Boosbeck
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Boosbeck and Lingdale
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 61 NE LOCKWOOD BOOSBECK ROAD (off east
3/67 Church of St. Aidan.
Church, 1899/1900, by W.S. Hicks. Snecked, rockfaced sandstone rubble
with ashlar quoins and dressings. Gaelic clay tiled roofs. Norman revival.
Cruciform plan with north vestry and west porch. Clasping buttresses.
Gabled porch has round-headed west doorway with billet-moulded hoodmould and
imposts continued as string courses; 2 boarded doors in Caernarvon-arched
openings below enriched tympanum. 4-bay nave has tall, chamfered,
round-headed lancets with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. String course below
sills. 2 windows in transepts and south doorway in south transept. Paired
west window recessed behind single round-headed arch with imposts. Bellcote
with cross finial and one bell, on west gable of nave. Slightly lower 3-bay
chancel has 2-tier tripartite east window. Interior: 2-bay transept arcades
with octagonal piers and square responds. Barrel roofs to nave and chancel.
Stained glass of c.1903/05 in east window. Square stone font bowl with
continuous guilloche moulding to sides, on circular pedestal, moulded base
and square plinth with waterleaf carvings at angles.
Listing NGR: NZ6619316873
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings