This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.579 / 54°34'44"N
Longitude: -1.235 / 1°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 449546
OS Northings: 520689
OS Grid: NZ495206
Mapcode National: GBR MHTH.FB
Mapcode Global: WHD70.056H
Entry Name: Railway Station with Shops, Offices and Two Bridges
Listing Date: 17 July 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59817
Location: Middlesbrough, TS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough St Columba with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH ZETLAND ROAD,
NZ 4920 NE & NW north side.
7/100 & 8/100 Railway Station,
with shops, offices
17.7.68 and two bridges.
Includes Nos, 5, 6, and 7 Exchange Place. Railway station with shops,
offices and 2 bridges, 1873/77 by W. Peachey; and Cudworth, engineer, for
North Eastern Railway Co. Train shed destroyed and platform buildings
damaged by enemy action 1942. Dressed Blaxter stone; Lakeland and Welsh
slate roofs; and iron and glass platform canopies and bridges. Booking
halls, platforms, etc, raised above surrounding area; station forecourt is
on roof of No.8 Exchange Place (q.v.). Platforms extend across Albert
Bridge, over Exchange Place. Gothic style. One-storey, 5-bay booking hall,
flanked by lower recessed 10-bay left, and 7-bay right wings. Altered wide
central opening, under straight wood beam and 3 pointed overlights in
moulded surrounds. Mid-C20 windows under original fanlights of moulded
pointed and round-headed doorways with carved capitals on nook shafts.
Carved-stopped hoodmoulds; deep chamfered plinth. Central roundel dated
1877. 2 slightly-projecting, corbelled and gabled half-dormers with plate
tracery in moulded surrounds, under blind quatrefoils and ornate finials.
Lombard frieze under moulded cornice and pierced parapet. Steeply-pitched
hipped roof and end stacks. One-bay returns have similar doorways, the left
concealed by mid-C20 extension. Wings have renewed segment-headed windows,
alternately single and paired in left wing, stepped in right wing. Canted
projecting left end bay with round-headed windows and hipped roof. 2-storey
projecting gabled right end bay with external stack flanked by pointed sash
windows. Hoodmoulds, bracketed eaves cornices and transverse ridge stacks.
2-storey, 6-bay shops and offices, fronting Exchange Place, have pointed
arcaded ground floor with altered doors and windows. Pointed first-floor
sash windows, paired in middle bays, and 3 gabled half-dormers with similar
windows, all under hoodmoulds. Adjoining single-span girder bridge, on 2
rows of 12 columns with moulded caps and bases, and broad fluted shaft
rings. Applied lettering : "ALBERT N.E.R. BRIDGE" on girders below
geometric-patterned parapets. North parapet flanked by short piers with
raised lettering: "N.E.R." and "1874" in enriched panels. Similar, smaller
bridge over pedestrian subway at west end of platforms. Platforms retain
original glazed canopies on scissor-braced trusses, scrolled brackets and
fancy columns, paired on south platform. INTERIOR : main booking hall has
patterned polychrome-tiled band above windows, and false hammerbeam roof,
without hammer posts. Shaped ends to hammerbeams and braces. Arched-braced
collars support kingposts with arched struts. 3 rows of butt purlins. Iron
tie rods link opposite hammerbeams. Station and forecourt impaired by
mid-C20 4-storey office building, not of special interest.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings