This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.578 / 54°34'40"N
Longitude: -1.2413 / 1°14'28"W
OS Eastings: 449139
OS Northings: 520579
OS Grid: NZ491205
Mapcode National: GBR MHSH.1P
Mapcode Global: WHD6Z.X627
Entry Name: Church of St Columba
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59690
Location: Middlesbrough, TS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough St Columba with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH BOUNDARY ROAD.
NZ 4920 NW
7/10 Church of St.
listed as Cannon
Wrongly shown on 0.S plan as: Cannon Street. Church, 1900/02 by Temple
Moore. Brick, in English bond, with sparse sandstone dressings. Welsh
slate roofs. Overall irregular, roughly- octagonal plan, designed to fit
site. Disoriented, terms used are ritual. Continuous aisled nave and
chancel, with east chapel, south porch, and west tower with west porch.
Early English style. Hexagonal-plan 3-stage tower has slightly-projecting
gabled porch with boarded double doors in Caernarvon-headed opening, under
blind fanlight, in stepped surround. Canted projecting stair turret, at
right, carried above parapet, has slit lights with iron grilles. Middle
stage has pointed windows in double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds.
Oculi in similar surrounds in top stage. Corbelled straight parapet, with
watershots. Steeply-pitched hipped roof, has raking dormers with louvred
bell-openings, and central bronze cross finial. 3-bay nave/chancel.
Similar windows, paired in clerestorey, with iron grilles. Canted
aisles/transepts under 3 gables. Lower canted south porch projects from
middle bay, with similar window flanked by boarded round-headed doors.
Battered brickwork fills angles between aisles and nave. 5 stepped lights
at east end, with cross finial. 4-bay east chapel with 2-span roof and
similar windows. INTERIOR: painted brick with stone dressings. Plain 3-+
1-bay nave/chancel arcades. Similar 3-bay arcade between chancel and
chapel,which also has 3-bay arcades with slender octagonal piers, moulded
capitals and bases. Similar tower arch and arches between transepts and
aisles. Vaulted boarded ceiling with moulded ribs and carved bosses,
springing from stepped brick vaulting shafts, in nave and chancel. Lateral
barrel-vaulted aisles and transepts. Carved wood rood beam with weepers, in
middle bay of chancel/chapel arcade, under richly-carved canopy on angel
brackets. 1927 2-tier carved wood reredos has figures of saints and angels
in canopied niches, and central figure of Virgin. Carved wood choir stalls
and communion rails with bronze turned balusters. Early Victorian carved
wood hexagonal pulpit, has traceried panelled sides, painted with northern
saints, on colonnettes and centralvaulted stem. Marble bowl font, 1902, on
circular arcade with stiff-leaf capitals, and octagonal step. West bay of
nave and aisles, now filled by late C20 narthex and organ gallery by R.
Listing NGR: NZ4913920579
Other nearby listed buildings