This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4338 / 50°26'1"N
Longitude: -4.4184 / 4°25'6"W
OS Eastings: 228346
OS Northings: 62123
OS Grid: SX283621
Mapcode National: GBR NH.Q4WM
Mapcode Global: FRA 17MX.4H0
Entry Name: Trout's Mill
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61299
Location: Menheniot, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Menheniot
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Menheniot
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 26 SE MENHENIOT
11/96 Trout's Mill
Corn Mill (disused). Circa early C19 on site dating back to 1573. Mill, originally
used as fulling mill, changing in c1820 to a grist mill. Rubblestone with bitumen
coated scantle slate roof with hipped ends. 3 storeys, symmetrical 3 window front.
Plank door to centre beneath timber lintel. Flanked by two 6-.pane lights with 3
similar windows to first and second floors beneath timber lintels. Remains of
overshot water wheel to rear. Interior with considerable amount of machinery
remaining including gear wheel with 3 pairs of stones in situ. Fourth lowered.
Winnowing machine on first floor. Hoppers, remains of silk for screening, sash hoist
with pulley wheels. Queen post truss roof. To rear, area known as rack park, used
by fulling industry to dry cloth. Remains of launder used to carry water from leat
to overshot wheel.
Mill stopped work about 1920. Present owners have considerable knowledge of history
of Mill and provided some of this information.
Listing NGR: SX2834662123
Other nearby listed buildings