This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5002 / 50°30'0"N
Longitude: -4.2927 / 4°17'33"W
OS Eastings: 237500
OS Northings: 69219
OS Grid: SX375692
Mapcode National: GBR NP.KTD1
Mapcode Global: FRA 17WQ.ZC4
Entry Name: Dupath Well
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61203
Location: Callington, Cornwall, PL17
Civil Parish: Callington
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Callington
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 36 NE CALLINGTON
8/2 Dupath Well
Holy Well House and chapel dedicated to St. Ethelred. Probably built in 1510 by the
Canons of St. Germans. Restored by Rev H.M. Rice, former rector of South Hill.
Built entirely of granite ashlar. Rectangular in plan. Small, single storey, single
cell building with gabled ends to liturgical east and west. Entrance in west gable
end. Rectangular surround to door with roll mould to outer arch and hollow chamfer
to segmental inner arch. Plain spandrels. C20 timber plank door with strap hinges.
East gable end with 2-light granite mullion window. Cavetto moulds to jambs and
arch. Holes for stanchion bars. Granite rectangular slits in north west and south
east walls. Roof comprising of long blocks of granite stone supported in centre by
diaphragm arch. Crocketted pinnacles at 4 corners possibly later addition. Further
crocketted pinnacle in north east end on gable. Turret on south west end in gable.
Moulded granite base with battered slab side supporting a moulded cap decorated with
a rope band, battlemented cornice and surmounted by 4 crocketted finials and a
central crocketted pinnacle. Simple interior with stone arch on rectangular stone
responds and plain cube capitals supporting span and junction of granite roof
members. Heavily restored. Water runs through building, entering from under
threshold on west, flowing along stone runnel into shallow rectangular trough. Then
leaves through hole in east wall and falls into stone basin positioned outside.
Wellhouse probably once contained altar.
Building probably associated with chapel licensed by Bishop Stafford in 1405,
dedicated to St. Ethelred. In 1432, the Canons of St. Germans acquired property at
Callington including 'Theu Path'. Reputed to be on site of duel fought between poor
knight Colan and the rich man Gottlieb for the hand of a maiden.
A Lane-Davies Holy Wells of Cornwall rp 1970
J Meyrick A pilgrims guide to the Holy Wells of Cornwall 1982
National Gazetteer (1868) I, 454.
Listing NGR: SX3750669203
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings