History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ministry of Defence Building Number A200 (Walton House)

A Grade II Listed Building in Waltham Abbey, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6905 / 51°41'25"N

Longitude: -0.0091 / 0°0'32"W

OS Eastings: 537708

OS Northings: 200958

OS Grid: TL377009

Mapcode National: GBR KM.2CJ

Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.SRJY

Entry Name: Ministry of Defence Building Number A200 (Walton House)

Listing Date: 26 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352178

Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, EN9

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey

Built-Up Area: Waltham Abbey

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Waltham Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Waltham Cross

Listing Text

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY
TL3700
3/10013 MOD Building No A 200 (Walton House)
GV II

Superintendent's office of 1789, with later C19 extensions. Flemish bond red brick with C19 yellow brick extensions; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge and end stacks.3-room rectangular plan including bay to north added before superintendents office of 1789, extended to right of front before 1821, with later C19 extensions including one of c1887 making U-plan with rear wing.
2 storeys. C18/early C19 front of 3-window range. Gauged brick flat arches over two C20 windows and late C19 plate-glass sash on ground floor, and over 3/6-pane first-floor sashes; stepped brick eaves. c1860 2-window front to right with timber lintel over C20 door to right, and flat gauged brick arches over 6/6-pane sashes. Rear extensions have similar arches over 6/6-pane and plate-glass sashes, and canted bay window to right. Interior not inspected but known to include late C18 box cornice and cast-iron grate to NW room. The Waltham Abbey gunpowder mills were purchased from John Walton by the government in 1787. Walton House forms a group with the contemporary A 201-2 (qv). (RCHME report, 1993).


Listing NGR: TL3770800958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.