This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.809 / 52°48'32"N
Longitude: -1.482 / 1°28'55"W
OS Eastings: 435010
OS Northings: 323618
OS Grid: SK350236
Mapcode National: GBR 6G6.XT4
Mapcode Global: WHDHD.6NJF
Entry Name: Pillar Fountain to the Front of No 53
Listing Date: 28 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140130
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352050
Location: Ticknall, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Ticknall
Built-Up Area: Ticknall
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ticknall St George
Church of England Diocese: Derby
TICKNALL HIGH STREET
SK 32 SE
1259-/4/0011 Pillar Fountain
to the front of No 53
Pillar fountain. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd of
Kilmarnock. Erected 1914 at the instruction of Sir Vauncey
Harpur-Crewe of Calke Abbey. Fluted cast iron cylindrical column,
with moulded domed top, incorporating tap lever handle, Lion mask
surround to tap outlet, and integral bucket platform to base. The
design, apparently of the late C19 date is referred to as
Kennedy's patent, self closing, anti-freezing Pillar fountain.
The fountain forms part of a fresh water supply system for the
village of Ticknall, (itself part of the Harpur-Crewe estate),
of which 16 other examples (q.v.) survive. The fountains were
served by gravity from a reservoir filled with water drawn from
a well by wind-pump.
Listing NGR: SK3501023618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings