This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0517 / 51°3'6"N
Longitude: -4.1918 / 4°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 246471
OS Northings: 130324
OS Grid: SS464303
Mapcode National: GBR KK.G1WL
Mapcode Global: FRA 263B.NRF
Entry Name: Richmond Dock
Listing Date: 12 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352081
Location: Northam, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Northam
Built-Up Area: Northam
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Appledore St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
In the entry for
SS 4630 Richmond Dock
the grade shall be amended to II*(star)
(The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 12 February l987)
SS 46 30
Dry-dock. 1856. Dressed stone rubble revetment walls with a pronounced concave
batter, stepped out at 2 stages at the top. The inner end is rounded on plan and
there are C20 lock gates at the seaward end. At intervals on the sides and at the
inner end there are integral flights of steps. The floor of the dock is now
concrete and there is a C20 gantry above.
Timber was imported from North America in the early C19 when sources of supply
from the Baltic ports were affected by the Napoleonic Wars. This trade gradually
developed into shipbuilding by James Yeo whereby ships were constructed on
Prince Edward Island and sailed over to the Torridge estuary for fitting out.
About 55 ships from Prince Edward Island were finished here in 1843 to 1853, but
these ships were actually fitted out on the fare-shore. In 1849-50 James Yeo's
son William decided to build a dry-dock at Richmond Yard, then a small creek
and the dock was built in 1856. It is said to have been the largest dry-dock in
the Bristol Channel at the time.
Sources: 1. B Greenhill, 'West Country men in Prince Edward's Isle'. 2. John
Barn 'Appledore Handmaid of the Sea' 3. North Devon Museum Trust Handbook No.2
4. Peter Beacham, Devon County Council.
Listing NGR: SS4647130324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings