History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Outbuilding East of High Birks Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Crosthwaite and Lyth, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3076 / 54°18'27"N

Longitude: -2.8806 / 2°52'50"W

OS Eastings: 342802

OS Northings: 490578

OS Grid: SD428905

Mapcode National: GBR 8LBM.5M

Mapcode Global: WH82T.QZHM

Entry Name: Farm Outbuilding East of High Birks Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 351992

Location: Crosthwaite and Lyth, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Crosthwaite and Lyth

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Crosthwaite St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Winster

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH
SD 49 SW
1258-/1/10001 Farm outbuilding east of
High Birks Farmhouse
GV II

Farm outbuilding. Dated 1695, with C19 alterations and additions. Watershot Lakeland
stone rubble walling with limestone quoins, some monolithic, and limestone dressings,
coped gables with kneelers and finial, and a Westmorland slate roof laid to diminishing
courses. Bank barn plan, linear in form, with waggon access from high ground to rear,
and cattle standings to ground floor to front. South elevation; 2 storey with overloft, 5
bays with long lean-to at west end and lower in-line gabled addition at east end. Shallow
canopy to ground floor supported on timber corbels and plate shelters cowhouse entries
and feed passage doorways. Massive stepped plinth interrupted by 5 plain doorways with
whitewashed surrounds. 2 doors have ventilation slits, 2 are subdivided horizontally and
one is now a window. There are 2 small window openings with glazing and louvres.
There is an inscribed circular slate in the wall below the canopy at the west end which
reads 'W.S.1695'. Above the doorway, 2 courses of projecting throughstones, and to the
centre, a former winnowing doorway, now enlarged and glazed, below a slated canopy.
North elevation of single storey height, with full-height double doorway and boarded
doors below curved timber lintol and enclosed within shallow slated canopy. Lean-to to
west with double doorway below timber lintol. South wall to lean-to appears near
contemporary, and has doorways at different levels. Interior not fully inspected but
observed to have a boarded threshing/loft floor and strutted roof trusses supporting a
double purlin roof. One of the earliest known examples of what is held to be an C18
building type.


Listing NGR: SD4280290578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.