This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4956 / 50°29'44"N
Longitude: -4.2216 / 4°13'17"W
OS Eastings: 242524
OS Northings: 68552
OS Grid: SX425685
Mapcode National: GBR NS.L1H1
Mapcode Global: FRA 271R.94X
Entry Name: Chapel of St George and St Thomas a Becket
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Last Amended: 19 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60791
Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: Calstock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Calstock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
9/40 Chapel of St George and St Thomas
a Becket (formerly listed as
23.1.68 Sir Richard Edgcumbe's Chapel)
Chapel. Circa 1490, built by Sir Richard Edgcumbe in memory of his escape from Sir
Henry Trenowth of Bodrugan in 1483. C20 restoration. Slatestone rubble with granite
dressings. C20 slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends, incorporating some re-
used hand-made crested ridge tiles.
Plan: Small rectangular single cell chapel, with entrance at the front gable end and
ritual east at the rear gable end. Built on the edge of a cliff overlooking the
Exterior: The front gable end has a 3-centred arched granite doorway with roll-
mouldings and recessed spandrels, C19 door with cover strips. The left and right
sides each have a 2-light granite window, with chamfered 3-centred arches to lights,
lattice glazing pintles remaining from shutters. The rear gable end has a 3-light
granite window, hollow-chamfered, with 4-centred arched lights with leaves carved in
the spandrels, semi-circular tracery above and 4-centred arch over with mutilated
hood mould and pintles from shutters.
Interior: Not accessible.
Listing NGR: SX4168670956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings