This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4413 / 50°26'28"N
Longitude: -4.5356 / 4°32'7"W
OS Eastings: 220054
OS Northings: 63233
OS Grid: SX200632
Mapcode National: GBR NB.PJT4
Mapcode Global: FRA 17DW.DV3
Entry Name: Church of St Pynnochus
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Last Amended: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60596
Location: St. Pinnock, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: St. Pinnock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Pinnock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 26 SW ST PINNOCK
5/93 Church of St Pynnochus (formerly
listed as Parish Church of St Pinnock)
Parish church with Norman cruciform origins. Tower rebuilt circa late C14 with
circa C15 rebuilding of nave. Latter half of C15 north transept demolished and
south aisle with 4-bay arcade erected. Circa C16 porch. Restored in 1881-2 by Hine and Odgers, architects of Plymouth. South transept rebuilt with part of east end. Rubble stone with granite dressings. Snecked stone in tower and C19 snecked stone in chancel. Ashlar snecked stone used in C19 rebuilding of south transept. Moulded plinth to tower. Simple plinth to nave broken by south transept. Dies out to east of priests door where rebuilt. Simple plinth to north aisle. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 4-bay north aisle not quite full length of nave. East window of 4 lights with Perpendicular C19 tracery and reused jambs. 4-centred arch with hoods and C19 carved drips. To nave, to east of porch, 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with hoods in original opening. C19 lancet in west window of south transept. C19 4-light Perpendicular window under 4-centred arch with some reused tracery to south and C19 3-light window to east of south transept. 3-light C19 window under 4-centred arch in south wall of chancel. South priests door with 2-centred chamfered arch and left-hand jamb. Reset. North wall of chancel, 4-light
Perpendicular window in wide 2-centred arch with hood and carved drips. South aisle with four 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoods and plain drips under wide 2-centred arches. Tracery partly restored. West window of north aisle with C19 tracery of 3 lights under 4-centred arch. Battlemented tower of 3 stages with pinnacles and crochetted finials surmounted by iron crosses. Angle buttresses set back on north and south faces. West door with wide 2-centred arch, partly recarved with chamfered jambs. Pyramid stop to right-hand jamb. Hood mould and plain drips. 3 light belfry openings on 4 faces with cusped heads beneath rectangular hood moulds and drips. Pointed relieving arches. Projecting staircase turret on north face with 3 canted sides. Battlemented cornice removed from top. South porch gabled with rounded arched opening with cavetto moulded jambs. Slate barge-boards. South door with basket granite arch with stone voussoirs. Cavetto moulded frame with plain stops.
Interior: 4-bay arcade of granite type A (Pevsner) piers with carved caps of
Pentewan stone. Waggon roof to nave, north aisle and porch with moulded ribs and
moulded stone wall plate. Partly restored with new bosses carved by Mr Moutrie of Tavistock. Tall tower arch, 2-centred with chamfered jambs. South transept arch plastered and partly restored. Late C19 furnishings with screens and pulpit by Messrs Hems of Exeter. Chancel panelled in 1943-4. Unusual Norman font of granite. Circular bowl with carved long eared heads and arms on corbelled corners. Octagonal shaft. Piscina on south side of east end of north aisle under basket arch. Maw and Co floor tiles increasing in ornamentation towards east end.
Memorials: behind organ in east end of north aisle, slate stone memorial to Ames
Coplestone, d.1629 and Jane, daughter of Emmanuel Ganbe d.1629. Also memorial to
John Collier, gent, with heraldic arms. On exterior chancel wall, slatestone with
heraldic arms in roundels to Thomas Hockin who died in 1767. 4 bells, recast in
1803 and inscribed I.P Church built into prehistoric tumulus, remainder forming
Source: C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide, 1925; Kelly's Directory of Cornwall,
1889. N Pevsner and E Radcliffe, The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd ed. 1970.
B E De St Paer-Gotch A History of St Pinnock Church and Parish, rp.1983
Listing NGR: SX1980162658
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings