History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Middlemores Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanton-by-Dale, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9386 / 52°56'18"N

Longitude: -1.309 / 1°18'32"W

OS Eastings: 446534

OS Northings: 338131

OS Grid: SK465381

Mapcode National: GBR 7G6.RWC

Mapcode Global: WHDGW.VDTK

Entry Name: Middlemores Almshouses

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140420

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352301

Location: Stanton by Dale, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Stanton by Dale

Built-Up Area: Stanton-by-Dale

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton-by-Dale St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Trowell

Listing Text

PARISH OF STANTON BY DALE STANHOPE STREET
SK 43 NE
6/98 (West Side)
Middlemores
10.11.67 Almhouses
II

Terrace of seven almshouses, now five. 1711, extended in 1735,
1829 and 1904. Built by the charity founded by the will of
Joseph Middlemore in 1711. Red brick. Plain tile roof with
five brick ridge stacks. Gabled dormers with brick copings and
plain kneelers. Single storey. South elevation of fourteen
bays. Left to right, three wooden cross windows, the third
formerly a door, doorway, three more cross windows (again the
third formerly a door), doorway, three cross windows (the third
formerly a door), doorway, three cross windows, doorway and a
cross window. All under flat brick arches. C19 half glazed
doors except for one C20 panelled door. Projecting gabled bay
to right with one similar window. Three gables above with slate
inscription panels. The left gable records details of the
original charity of 1711 funded by the will of Joseph Middlemore
and carried out by his wife. The second gable records the
building of two more almshouses in 1735 by the will of Winifrede
Middlemore. The third gable records further enlargement in
1829. In the right; hand gable a further panel recording the
building of another house in 1904.


Listing NGR: SK4653438131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.