This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9657 / 52°57'56"N
Longitude: -1.358 / 1°21'28"W
OS Eastings: 443218
OS Northings: 341116
OS Grid: SK432411
Mapcode National: GBR 7FY.5GN
Mapcode Global: WHDGP.3QM9
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352310
Location: West Hallam, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7
Civil Parish: West Hallam
Built-Up Area: West Hallam
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: West Hallam St Wilfred
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF WEST HALLAM THE VILLAGE
SK 44 SW
2/107 (South Side)
Church of St Wilfrid
Parish church. C14, C15, restored in C19. Coursed squared
gritstone with gritstone dressings. Welsh slate roof with
decorative ridge tiles. Moulded stone coped gables and
parapets. West tower, aisled nave, chancel and north porch.
Moulded plinth. West tower of two stages. Tall lower stage has
low diagonal buttresses to west. West doorway moulded, with
buttress shafts. 3-light Perp window above, with depressed
four-centred arch and a castellated transom. Single lancet
window to south. The bell stage has 2-light cusped Y-tracery
bell openings to each face. Below on the north side is a clock.
Battlements with gargoyles at the angles. C19 south aisle of
three bays divided by buttresses. Doorway with moulded pointed
arch and studded door, in the west bay, and 2-light windows in
other bays, of two cusped lancets under square heads. C20
boiler house to west of aisle, not of special interest. West
window of two cusped lancets. C17 clerestory of three 2-light
windows. Arched lights under square heads. Plain parapet.
2-light east window with reticulation unit and hoodmould with
head stops. Two bay chancel divided by a buttress. Two 2-light
windows under square heads, consisting of cusped lancets with
mouchettes above. All C19. 3-light east window has Dec tracery
renewed in the C19. The north side of the chancel has a 2-light
window of two cusped lancets under a four-centred arch, deeply
set, with concave surround. The north vestry is a continuation
of the aisle. Doorway to east with wave moulded surround and
hoodmould with headstops. Window above of three cusped lancet
lights under an almost triangular head. North aisle of three
bays. Unbuttressed. Three windows of two cusped lancet lights
under square heads, with returned hoodmoulds. Clerestory as on
the south side. Square porch has a doorway with wave moulding,
buttress shafts and hoodmould with head stops. Single lancet at
the west end of the north aisle. Plain parapet to clerestory,
aisle and porch. Interior: three bay arcades with octagonal
piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Single chamfered
tower arch with inner chamfered order on corbels. Double
chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds. Various
incised slabs and brass indents set in the chancel floor.
Monument in the chancel set in a semi-circular headed recess.
To Walter Powtrell, died 1598, and wife, recumbent alabaster
effigies on a tomb chest. Incised slab to Thomas Powtrell, died
1484. Wall tablet in the south aisle to William Simpson, died
1790, by Braddow. Tablet in the north aisle dated 1697 with
Latin inscription, heavy scrolled pediment. Corbelled out
piscina with plain chamfered arch. In the south aisle chapel, a
tiny trefoiled piscina set low down. Unmoulded octagonal font
on a square base, with broaches at the angles of the bowl. C19
Jacobean style pulpit. C19 tiled sanctuary. Stained glass.
Chancel east window of 1855 by O'Connor. Medieval glass in the
chancel north window with quarries of birds and later shields.
Chancel south window, C19, with figures set in architectural
niches and with a background of acorns and oak leaves. North
aisle west window of 1928.
Listing NGR: SK4321841116
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings