This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9429 / 52°56'34"N
Longitude: -1.3507 / 1°21'2"W
OS Eastings: 443733
OS Northings: 338582
OS Grid: SK437385
Mapcode National: GBR 7G5.FCL
Mapcode Global: WHDGW.7928
Plus Code: 9C4WWJVX+4P
Entry Name: Church of All Saints and Vergers Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352230
Location: Dale Abbey, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7
Civil Parish: Dale Abbey
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton-by-Dale St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 43 NW
PARISH OF DALE ABBEY
THE VILLAGE (east side)
Church of All Saints and Vergers Farmhouse
Parish church and attached farmhouse. Late C12, C14, C15, 1634 and mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings, and red brick with pseudo timber-framed upper parts. Plain-tile roofs, coped gable to east. House has brick gable and lateral stacks. One and two storeys.
Church to east. Nave, chancel and south aisle. South elevation has a two storey gabled bay to right with brick to first floor and rendered gable. Small wooden bellcote above. Ground floor has a plainly chamfered round-arched doorway with studded plank door. One two-light casement window above. To the left a two-light Perpendicular window with square head.
House to the right, slightly set back, has to the ground floor a large two-light casement window. Pseudo timber-framed jettied upper floor has one two-light gabled half dormer. Entrance bay set back to right. East elevation has a gabled bay to right with a three-light shallowly pointed C14 window with cusped ogee tracery. The south side has an external staircase leading to the upper gallery.
INTERIOR: the nave and aisle are entirely covered by an upper floor or gallery. The ceiling has finely moulded beams. Stud partition between nave and aisle, with moulded upright. Stud partition to the east, in the form of a screen with three-lights either side of the entrance through to the chancel.
Box pews in the chancel and aisle. Rough open seated pews in the nave and south aisle, possibly C17. C17 pulpit, reading desk and clerk's pew, uniquely placed behind the altar. Wall paintings, late C13, on the north wall. The Annunciation, Visitation and Nativity. Restored in 1931. On the south wall an illegible painted text.
C15 octagonal stone font with shields and carved figures in high relief around the bowl. Solid base, cut away at the angles and with colonnettes. Badly worn incised tomb slab leaning against the west wall. Fragments of medieval stained glass in the tracery lights of the north window. The gallery has timber-framed walls and C19 tiered pews. Chamfered beamed ceiling. The history of the chapel is uncertain, but it may have been the infirmary and infirmary chapel of the abbey.
Listing NGR: SK4373338582
Other nearby listed buildings