This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4926 / 50°29'33"N
Longitude: -4.6006 / 4°36'2"W
OS Eastings: 215638
OS Northings: 69095
OS Grid: SX156690
Mapcode National: GBR N8.L62Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 177R.KJ3
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62292
Location: Warleggan, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Warleggan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Warleggan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 16 NE
9/150 Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. C13, early C15 and later C15; tower repaired 1754, further repairs
after 1818, when the spire collapsed. Nave and chancel in slatestone and granite
rubble with granite dressings; nave retains scantle slate roof with some hand-made
crested ridge tiles remaining; C19 slate roof to chancel, with ridge tiles. Tower,
south aisle and south porch in granite ashlar with granite dressings, scantle slate
roof with ridge tiles and raised coped verges to south aisle.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one, of C13; probably in the early C15, the west tower was
built. In later C15, the south aisle with south porch. In 1753, the tower was
repaired, and in 1818 the spire fell on the body of the church; the roof over the
nave and probably south aisle are of this date, possibly also the tower parapet and
pinnacles. Perpendicular style.
Nave and chancel in one, with plinth; north side has two 2-light windows with
recessed surrounds and chamfered mullions; buttress of inter date and one single C13
cusped light to nave; relieving arch remaining from former north door to nave.
Chancel has 3-light east window, of 3 cusped lights with relieving arch.
Tower: in 2 stages, on chamfered plinth, each stage set back, with embattled parapet
and pinnacles; projecting stair tower with lancets to north. West door has 4-centred
arch, hollow moulded, with relieving arch with keystone, west window above is 3-
light, with ogee lights, hood mould and relieving arch with keystone. Second stage
all sides a 2-light bell-opening with ogee lights and pierced slate louvres.
South aisle: of 5 bays, on hollow-chamfered plinth, with 4 windows to south, all 3-
light with cusped lights and square hood mould, similar west window which was
formerly taller, the lower part infilled with the jambs remaining. East end has
similar 4-light window.
Gabled south porch in second bay from west, with chamfered 4-centred arched doorway
set in hollow-chamfered surround with stops; inner doorway has narrow roll-moulding
with step stops and rounded head; C19 door.
Interior: Ceiled waggon roofs, plastered walls and slate floors. Tall 4-centred tower
arch with impost mouldings. 5-bay south arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers, 4-centred
arches: all abaci carved with geometric and natural designs, one with carving of a
clan with a spear, and a hare with her young.
Fittings: Font in south aisle, probably C14, octagonal stone bowl in octagonal shaft
with ring moulding, splayed at the base. C18 baluster alms box in south aisle. Fine
plasterwork Royal coat of arms in nave, with colour, dated 1664. Slate tablet in
tower recording repair of the tower in 1754 by the churchwardens.
Monuments in south aisle: slate ledger stone, with shield of arms, inscription with
strapwork, to Richard Bere, 1618; marble tablet on slate ground, with shield of arms
on apron, to Mary Angove, 1805.
Sources: Radcliffe, E: Buildings of Englandi Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SX1535568988
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings