This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3544 / 50°21'15"N
Longitude: -4.2548 / 4°15'17"W
OS Eastings: 239695
OS Northings: 52929
OS Grid: SX396529
Mapcode National: GBR NQ.W4XT
Mapcode Global: FRA 18Z3.87J
Entry Name: Higher Tregantle Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61663
Location: Antony, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Antony
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Antony
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 NW ANTONY
5/5 Higher Tregantle Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17, enlarged and altered 1785 (dated on rear wall), with C19 alterations
and C20 alterations. Slatestone rubble, brick dressings, partly rendered, slate roof
hipped to right and hipped over front porch wing. Gable end stack to former lower
end to left, front lateral stack to former hall to right, gable end stack to right to
rear parallel wing.
Originally 3-room and through passage plan, with upper end to right and lower end to
left; front lateral stack heating upper end. Originally had a single storey front
porch. In 1785, the front porch was enlarged to form a small front parlour and
raised a storey, the lower end was remodelled and the passage wall removed to form an
entrance hall with stair to rear, and a passage was formed to rear right leading to
the rear service wing, which is a parallel range at the back, also added circa 1785.
2-storeys, 1:1:1 windows. Bay to left is in rubble, with 12-pane sash with segmental
head and brick surround at ground and first floor. The porch to centre has panelled
and glazed door with segmental head, ground and first floor 12-pane sash in exposed
boxes, of different sizes; to left side, wall shows signs of raising in height,
rendered, with battered walls at ground floor. Bay to right has front lateral stack
partially enclosed by addition to porch, 16-pane sash with sidelights at ground floor
and 12-pane sash at first floor; rendered. Right side has rear parallel range to
right with wide external stack with oven at base, 8-pane sash at first floor to left.
To left, end of front range projects beyond rear range, and has datestone to rear;
between the two ranges, a C20 glazed door and single light with brick segmental head.
Rear range to left has half-gable end with 2-light casement at ground and first
floor, ground floor room formerly used as dairy. Rear of dairy has 2-light casement
at ground floor and 2-pane light under eaves, extended by rear wing with single light
at first floor; single storey outhouse attached to rear. Narrow gable-ended brick
addition of C19 to rear centre; to left a C20 3-light window with brick segmental
head, at first floor a C20 2-light window. Single storey rubble outhouse attached to
rear with slate roof and unglazed window in gable end.
Interior: Front entrance hall has C19 moulded doorframes, open-wall stair to rear
left with stick balusters. Front porch parlour has C18 fielded dado panelling.
Pillar supporting ceiling where passage wall was removed to right of entrance. Front
room to right has coved plaster cornice and round-arched opening to rear. At first
floor, the room over the porch has a cupboard with panelled door with LH hinges.
Room to front right has coved cornice. Room to front left has C18 cupboards with 2-
panelled doors and drawers with H hinges.
Listing NGR: SX3969552929
Other nearby listed buildings