This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5295 / 50°31'46"N
Longitude: -4.3582 / 4°21'29"W
OS Eastings: 232958
OS Northings: 72626
OS Grid: SX329726
Mapcode National: GBR NL.HVSH
Mapcode Global: FRA 17RN.PXR
Entry Name: Church of St Sampson
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61458
Location: South Hill, Cornwall, PL17
Civil Parish: South Hill
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: South Hill
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SOUTH HILL SOUTH HILL
SX 37 SW
2/249 Church of St Sampson
Parish church and mother church of Callington. Dedicated in 1333. Nave, chancel,
north transept and first 2 stages of tower circa 1330s. 4-bay south aisle and upper
stage of tower circa C15. South porch circa late C15. Restored in 1871. Stone
rubble with moulded plinth to nave, chancel, north transept and west tower. Corner
buttresses to tower and north transept. Buttresses to chancel and nave. South porch
of large blocks of granite ashlar. Granite ashlar to upper stage of tower. Slate
roof with slightly higher ridge to chancel. Nave roof altered with evidence of
higher roof marked on east side of tower. West tower of 3 stages with angle
buttresses to first stage. Moulded plinth and strings. Battlemented parapet with
pinnacles. West door, moulded 2 centred arch with triple cavetto mould with fillets
between. Circa C17 door, vertically planked and studded with strap hinges. West
window, restored. 2-lights with renewed cusped heads with quatrefoil above. Above,
2 single light openings with cusped heads. Slate fenestration with ventilation holes
in shape of cross. 2-light belfry openings, Perpendicular tracery, west light
slightly off centre. Slate panels. Frieze below parapet with band of Apostles in
relief. Possibly angels on corners. Weather vane on south east pinnacle. Corrugated
asbestos lean-to on north side of tower. Nave; north side, to west of transept, two
2-centred openings with C19 Decorated tracery. 2-lights with cusped heads with
trefoils above and quatrefoil in centre. Hoodmoulds. To east, 2-light window with
restored C19 geometric tracery beneath 2-centred arch which projects into west wall
of north transept. North window of north transept in slightly blocked opening with
pointed relieving arch. Circa C15 Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arch
with roll mould. Hoodmould. Opening on east of north transept blocked. Chancel;
straight joint on north wall to east of north transept above plinth. Two 2-centred
arched openings with restored simple tracery. Hoodmoulds. East window of 3-lights.
Restored Decorated tracery of freestone with cusped heads and soufflets. 4 petal
star above. South window of chancel, restored, 2-light Decorated window. East
window of south aisle, Perpendicular 4-light window beneath 4-centred arch. South
aisle with three 3-light Perpendicular circa C15 windows with granite tracery beneath
4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Similar 3-light window to west of porch. South
porch with 3-centred granite arch with moulded jambs comprising double roll mould.
Moulded hood and labels. Sundial above, 184-. South door, 2-centred moulded arch.
Roof; nave and north transept unstained king post trusses with arch braces. Chancel
with original waggon roof with central moulded longitudinal rib and 3 painted shields
South aisle, original stained waggon roof with moulded ribs and recently painted
shields and carved bosses. 4 bay south aisle with tall moulded type A (Pevsner)
piers. Moulded bases and caps with 4-centred moulded arches. Engaged pier on west
far cruder with tall moulded base. Tower arch, 4-centred arch with mouldings to arch
dying out to jambs (cf St Ive Parish Church). Squint between north transept (Manaton
Chapel) and chancel. C19 furnishing. Norman font inscribed with Chi Rho sign.
Round bowl decorative with tree of life and 2 long animals in profile. 4 figure
heads at corners. Round shaft with 4 columns continuing from figure heads. Later
base. Piscina at east end of north transept with cusped head. Badly eroded.
Decorated circa 1330s piscina in south east corner of chancel. Ogee cusped arch.
South window of chancel projects into earlier simple sedilia. 2 Decorated tomb
recesses on north side of chancel. Circa 1330s. Ogeed arches with cusping and
bulbous finials. Western recess pierced by squint from north transept. Table at
west end of church, carved, circa C17.
Monuments; Manaton chapel in north transept. Monument to John Manaton and wife 1507.
In east wall Monument to Michael Hill, son of Michael Hill of Trenethick and Frances,
daughter of Samuel Manaton of Manaton. 1663. Figure in aedicular frame with moulded
cornice and marble columns. Figure in relief, half kneeling at library table, his
head resting on his hand, and his elbow on a skull. Remains of ancient colour.
Inscription below. North wall of nave, classical monument to Grace Parson, died
1778. Stencilled text around east window. Stencilled pattens on organ. 2 reset
headstones on east wall of porch. To Sampson Lucas, died 1730 and to Joseph Lucas,
died 1729. Latter engraved and signed by William Lucas.
Bells; 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5, 1698 cast by J. Pennington. (Not inspected)
N. Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980
H B Walters Church of England. Schedule of Bells for Preservation 1978
J. Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974
Listing NGR: SX3295972624
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings