This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4798 / 50°28'47"N
Longitude: -4.3842 / 4°23'3"W
OS Eastings: 230939
OS Northings: 67158
OS Grid: SX309671
Mapcode National: GBR NK.M1PL
Mapcode Global: FRA 17PS.KSW
Entry Name: Church of St Ivo
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140830
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61362
Location: St. Ive, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: St. Ive
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Ive
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 36 NW ST IVE ST IVE
7/161 Church of St Ivo
Parish Church. Consecrated 1338. Sister Church of South Hill (q.v.). Nave, north
transept, and chancel contemporary with date consecration. South aisle and south
porch circa late C15. Tower circa C16 built by munificence of Henry Trecarrel of
Lezant. Restored in 1883 by Medley Fulford. Nave, chancel and north transept of
rubblestone. Tower, south aisle and south porch of granite ashlar. Slate roofs with
nave and chancel in one, projecting beyond south aisle. West tower of 2 stages with
set back buttresses rising 8 subsidiary pinnacles which flank the 4 main pinnacles
over the corners. Battlemented parapet. Moulded plinth to tower. West door of
polyphant stone. 4-centred arch with heavy roll mould with quatrefoils and mouchetts
in spandrels beneath hoodmould and labels. Double C19 plank door with elaborate
strap hinges. C19 west window of 3-lights. Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred
arch with hood and labels. In original opening. 3-light belfry opening beneath
4-centred arch. Nave, north wall; two 2-light freestone decorated windows beneath
2-centred arches with hoods and labels. _ North door with blocked opening between 2
windows. Elaborately moulded jambs and 2-centred arch with run-out stops. C19
buttress between north door and west window. North transept; 3-light north window
with Decorated. tracery. Central roundel with cusped cinquefoil within. Decorated
3-light windows to north transept with raised central light. North window of chancel
with renewed Decorated tracery of 2-lights in original 2-centred arched opening.
Similar to south window of chancel. East window restored. 5-light Decorated window
with central roundel pushing down central light below (cf Exeter cathedral choir
circa 1288-1309 and west window circa 1346-1375). Pointed trefoils south chancel
door with outer 4-centred arch with hood and labels possibly contemporary with south
aisle. South aisle, Perpendicular 4-light east window beneath 4-centred arch with
hood and labels. 4 identical 3-light Perpendicular windows in south wall with
stepped buttresses between. Close similarities to Callington (cf Church of St Mary,
Callington). South porch gabled with 4-centred arch with roll mould. Rectangular
hood and labels with carved spandrels. Sundial above, 1655 inscribed 'Quotidie
Morior'. South door in rectangular surround with heavy roll mould to 4-centred arch.
Decorated spandrels. Remains of Holy water stoup to right with ogee cusped head.
Interior circa late C15 unstained waggon roof to nave with moulded ribs and carved
bosses. Carved timber wall plate with moulded stone plate beneath. Waggon roof to
chancel with central longitudinal moulded rib. North transept with sealed waggon
roof with carved bosses. Circa late C15 south aisle waggon roof with carved ribs,
bosses and wall plate. 5-bay south arcade with segmental moulded arches on Type A
(Pevsner) moulded piers. Tall moulded bases and elaborately moulded caps. Tower
arch projects from moulded corbelled brackets. Segmental moulded arch with outer
relieving arch. North transept arch, circa 1330s. Pointed with mouldings on arch
dying out into jambs (cf Church of Sampson, South Hill). Furnishings C19. Oak
pulpit circa 1700. Octagonal with carved panels and moulded cornice. Later base.
Circa 1700 octagonal tester with moulded cornice. Circa C17 oak chair in chancel.
Octagonal granite font, stem circa C14. Sedilia in chancel, circa 1340s, 2-centred
arches with trefoils in spandrels. Decorated with carved bulbous foliage. Simple
piscina to right of altar with ogee arch with cusping. Circa 1330s Piscina also in
east wall of north transept. Tomb recess in north wall of north transept (q.v.
Church of St Hugo, Quethiock). Decorated circa 1330s with ogee, cusped arch with
bulbous finial above. On inner side of east window, Decorated niches with nodding
ogee arches placed diagonally and bulbous crocketted finials. C19 Commandment boards
with Lords Prayer and Creed in west end of nave. Painted plaster coat of arms,
Charles II, 1660, on north wall of nave. Strap work.
Monuments; Classical memorial to John Lyne, died 1791, rector of parish by Isbell.
On north side of chancel. Directly to west, slate ledger stone in memory of John
Saltren, died 1695. Central heraldic arms with lion rampant. Other ledger stones to
Robert Soby, 1741; to son of Thomas Dodson of May, died 1669; to William Leane, 1700;
John Saltren, 1663 and John Wrey, 1603. Glass in east window given in memory of
Archdeacon Hobhouse. Brass plaques to Hobhouse family, (q.v. Chantry, St Ive).
Slate memorial to the Wrey family 1597 (q.v. Trebeigh Manor) transferred to Tawstock
N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980
Listing NGR: SX3093867158
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings