This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2174 / 50°13'2"N
Longitude: -5.1709 / 5°10'15"W
OS Eastings: 173890
OS Northings: 40076
OS Grid: SW738400
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.DDTD
Mapcode Global: FRA 081G.5BJ
Entry Name: Tower of Church of Saint Wenappa
Listing Date: 3 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63211
Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR16
Civil Parish: Gwennap
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwennap
Church of England Diocese: Truro
GWENNAP CHURCHTOWN, Gwennap
SW 74 SW
4/113 Tower of Church of Saint Wenappa
Detached bell tower. Circa C16. Granite and killas rubble with granite quoins,
bonding stones, windows, door frame, hoodmould string and wallplate. Pyramidal
asbestos slate roof. Square on plan. 2 stages of bell-chamber over ringing chamber. Round-headed north doorway with wide chamfer and stepped stops. 2-light chamfered granite mullioned window to ground floor of south wall with stepped hoodmould linked to string dividing stages. Further similar 2-light windows to north and south walls of bell-storey. Similar but narrower single light windows to east and west walls. Ground floor window has coloured glass but first floor windows have slate louvres. Coved wallplate cornice (unusual, for Cornwall is
use of bonded jambstones to window openings. Normally jambstones are monoliths rising from sill to lintel level).
Interior not inspected but contains 6 bells, hung in the late C18 (Church Guide).
Reason for detached tower was probably to achieve an elevated position at a
lower cost. Holy well to north east of church near valley bottom may have influenced choice of church site.
Listing NGR: SW7389040076
Other nearby listed buildings