History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House Killifreth (Hawke's Shaft) at Sw 733442 Sw

A Grade II Listed Building in Chacewater, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2541 / 50°15'14"N

Longitude: -5.1803 / 5°10'49"W

OS Eastings: 173391

OS Northings: 44184

OS Grid: SW733441

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.04BG

Mapcode Global: FRA 081C.7MZ

Entry Name: Engine House Killifreth (Hawke's Shaft) at Sw 733442 Sw

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140971

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63094

Location: Chacewater, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Chacewater

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Chacewater

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Chacewater

Listing Text

CHACEWATER
SW 74 SW
4/36 Engine house Killifreth Mine
30.5.67 (Hawke's shaft) at SW 733442 SW
GV II
Ruined engine house for beam engine with attached chimney. Circa 1865, chimney,
heightened probably circa 1900. Granite rubble and killas; granite quoins and
jambstones and brick arches and brick upper part of round chimney to north east
corner. 1-cell rectangular plan with round chimney attached to north-east corner.
Originally with 3 floors. All walls virtually intact. Thicker south bob wall to
second floor level with deep dressed granite wallplate, originally timber framed above
clad in weather boarding. Round-headed opening to ground floor. North gable wall has
similar brick round arched opening to ground floor and smaller round-headed arched
window openings to first and second floor. 2 square openings for second floor beams.
Smaller round-headed window openings to east and west walls. 2-stage chimney has
moulded brick collar over stone first stage and remains of moulded collar to later
part of upper stage.
The shaft is named after the purser of 1865, a Mr Edward Hawke, Jun., Tregullow.
There were no returns in 1864 but by 1865: "The Company have very recently resumed the
works, which were suspended a year a two. They are sinking the engine shaft, which
will intersect the lode at a depth of about 70 fathoms".
(Statistics and observations by Thomas Spargo 1865).
The chimney of this engine house, since heightening circa 1900, is the tallest
surviving chimney in Cornwall.


Listing NGR: SW7339144184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.