History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House at Approximately 50m North West of Wheal Bush Farmhouse Killifreth Mine

A Grade II Listed Building in Chacewater, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2491 / 50°14'56"N

Longitude: -5.1762 / 5°10'34"W

OS Eastings: 173660

OS Northings: 43617

OS Grid: SW736436

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.0KFB

Mapcode Global: FRA 081C.P7X

Entry Name: Engine House at Approximately 50m North West of Wheal Bush Farmhouse Killifreth Mine

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Last Amended: 3 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63096

Location: Chacewater, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Chacewater

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Chacewater

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Chacewater

Listing Text

CHACEWATER
SW 74 SW
4/38 Engine house at approx 50m north
west of Wheal Bush Farmhouse
30.5.67 Killifreth Mine.
(Formerly listed as part of two
engine houses at New Shaft,
Killifreth Mine)
GV II
Beam engine house ruin. Circa mid-late C19. Mostly killas rubble with granite
quoins, jambstone and bonding stones and mostly dressed coursed granite facing to bob
(south west) wall. Round 2-stage chimney to north corner. Round brick arches over
openings and brick upper stage to chimney. Originally with gable ended roof and 3
floors; now roofless and floorless. Rectangular single-cell plan with thicker bob
wall overlooking mine shaft to south east and round chimney north corner. Originally
3 storeys. Walls virtually intact except for what was framed and weather-boarded wall
to second floor and gable end over bob wall. Some undermining of jambs to ground
floor opening of bob wall when machinery removed C20.
Wheal Bush was part of Unity Wood and Killifreth Mine. This mine was re-opened in
1865 and this is one of two engine houses in a group, probably for pumping.


Listing NGR: SW7366043617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.