History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ladock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladock, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3205 / 50°19'13"N

Longitude: -4.9591 / 4°57'32"W

OS Eastings: 189449

OS Northings: 50920

OS Grid: SW894509

Mapcode National: GBR ZM.2W21

Mapcode Global: FRA 08H6.3TB

Entry Name: Ladock House

Listing Date: 17 October 1984

Last Amended: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141121

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62722

Location: Ladock, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Ladock

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Ladock

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Ladock

Listing Text

LADOCK
SW 85 SE
1/13 Ladock House
-

- II
The description shall be amended to read:-

Rectory, now house. Built in 1832 by the Rev Henry Ware. Stucco over rubble
with granite dressings, slate roof and brick chimneys. Overall U-shaped plan
with 2 reception rooms facing garden (south), further reception room behind left
hand room, stair hall behind right hand room, with side (east) entrance and
service wings behind to either side. Classical style 2 storeys. 4 window south
front. Granite plinth with round ventilation holes under windows. Semi-circular
arched window recesses to ground floor with granite string at impost level. First
floor has granite string at sill level broken forward with aprons. Raised plain
architraves, sashes with glazing bars. Wide projecting eaves over paired brackets.
Hipped scantle slate roof over. East entrance front similar to south front for
one bay but with blind windows. Granite Tuscan porch (now glazed) with paired
brackets in cornice attached to 2-storey curved stair projection with sash over.
Three window 3-storey service wing to right with 16-paned sashes on ground and
first floor with 12-paned sashes to second floor all in plain surrounds. 2 storey
west front with curved bay to left and Victorian bay window in ground floor to
right. Granite quoins are rusticated and in the form of pilasters.
Interior has cantilevered stone staircase with iron balusters by Harvey. Most
early C19 detail survives including stone floor to vestibule, doors, architraves,
shutters, plaster cornices and plaster vaults over inner vestibule on two floors.
The house was bought by the Church when the Reverend Henry Ware died in 1842,
aged 36; and extended in 1850 by Canon Wise, the then Rector.

Historical information supplied by Mr Geoffrey Holborow, who with Lady Mary
Holborow has restored the house and garden since 1966.

------------------------------------

LADOCK
SW 85 SE
1/13 Ladock House

GV II

Rectory, now house. Built in 1832 by the Rev. Henry Ware. Stucco over rubble with
granite dressings, slate roof and brick chimneys. U-shaped, classical style. 2
storeys with entrance and 3 storey service wing to right. 4 windowed west front.
Granite plinth with round ventilation holes under windows. Semi-circular arched
window recesses to ground floor with granite string at impost level. First floor
has granite string at sill level broken forward with aprons. Raised plain
architraves, sashes. Wide projecting eaves over paired brackets. Hipped scantle
slate roof over. South entrance front similar to west front for one bay but with
blind windows. Granite Tuscan porch (now glazed) with paired brackets in cornice
attached to 2-curved stair projection with sash over. 3 storey service wing with 3
windows to right 16-paned sashes on ground and first floor with 12-paned sashes
to second floor all in plain surrounds. 2 storey north front with curved bay to
left and Victorian bay window in ground floor to right. Granite quoins are
rusticated and in the form of pilasters. Interior has cantilevered stone staircase
with iron balusters by Harvey. Most early C19 detail survives including stone
floor to vestibule, doors, architraves, shutters, plaster cornices and plaster
vaults over inner vestibule on two floors. Date supplied by owner.


Listing NGR: SW8944950922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.