History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower at Approx 12m West of Church of Saint Mylor

A Grade II Listed Building in Mylor Bridge, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.177 / 50°10'37"N

Longitude: -5.0546 / 5°3'16"W

OS Eastings: 181999

OS Northings: 35237

OS Grid: SW819352

Mapcode National: GBR ZG.2TR0

Mapcode Global: FRA 089K.8N8

Entry Name: Tower at Approx 12m West of Church of Saint Mylor

Listing Date: 12 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141635

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63507

Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR11

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Mylor

Built-Up Area: Mylor Bridge

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Mylor

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Mylor Bridge

Listing Text

SW 83 NW MYLOR MYLOR CHURCHTOWN

4/229 Tower at approx 12m west of Church
of Saint Mylor

GV II


Detached bell tower with 2 attached headstones. Circa early C15. Shale rubble lower stage and circa early C20 weather boarded upper stage. Dry Delabole slate roof with gable ends and crested clay ridge tiles.
Square-on-plan, built into steep hillside to west. Steep 4-centred rubble arched
doorway to middle of east side with circa early C20 ledged door with chamfered frame and glazed tympanum. North side has rubble string probably indicating top of lower stage before remodelling. Louvred 2-light ventilator to north and south weather boarded gables,
Interior has 3 bells, recast in 1888. No 1 medieval and retains the old legend: "In honore Santi Georgii". No 2 is dated 1637 and has the legend: "Ego me preco se damando conterimus audite venite". No 3 has the date 1664. (Church Guide).
At either side of doorway is attached a slate headstone. Left-hand headstone is 1870 to Stephen Stephens who died aged 60, and has incised pilasters with flower capitals flanking inscription; each capital surmounted by scrolled plan tendril as spandrel decoration to shouldered head framing central urn. Right-hand headstone is 1810 to Jane Stephens who died aged 75, and is nowy-headed over concave corners. This tower is very simple and has little architectural evidence for precise dating but presumably it predates the C15 bell turret which surmounts the west gable of the church. There are several detached bell towers in Cornwall and placed on higher ground than the church, presumably to gain height for better sound transmission, and better as landmarks or look out towers and at lower cost.


Listing NGR: SW8199935236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.