This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7698 / 51°46'11"N
Longitude: 0.8165 / 0°48'59"E
OS Eastings: 594430
OS Northings: 211658
OS Grid: TL944116
Mapcode National: GBR RN2.WTR
Mapcode Global: VHKGJ.3SJ3
Entry Name: Bourchier's Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 353121
Location: Tollesbury, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Tollesbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Tollesbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TOLLESBURY BACK ROAD
TL 92 SW
House, Early C14, altered in C16 and later. Timber framed, mainly plastered,
exposed framing on N elevation, red brick cladding in Flemish bond on part of
ground floor, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay aisled hall range
aligned N-S, W aisle present, E aisle removed, with internal stack at S end.
4-bay crosswing to N, with internal stack at the junction, and stack at E end,
enclosed by C17 one-bay extension beyond. External stack to N, the flue carried
up tile roof pitch to join the other stack. Late C16 stair tower in SE angle, on
site of former E aisle, and higher C18 extension to E of it, with external stack
to S. C19 dairy of red brick in Flemish bond to NW of crosswing. 2 storeys. W
elevation, 3 pairs of C20 sashes on ground floor, 3 C20 sashes on first floor of
which 2 are in gabled dormers, and one in attic gable. A recess in the plaster,
with rounded head, suggests a former doorway one bay from the S end (although no
internal evidence is exposed). Elsewhere, scattered fenestration. Plain
boarded door in E end of dairy, now the front entrance. The interior of the
ground floor is mainly plastered. Jowled posts. The central truss of the hall
is exposed, with steeply cambered tiebeam with quadrant mouldings mitred at the
ends to return along attached covings, missing. Deep moulded arch braces to it,
with moulded spandrels. Spandrel struts. Octagonal crownpost with moulded cap
and base, and 4-way rising braces of straight, square section. Carved boss
below centre of tiebeam, mutilated and partly concealed in plaster. Arched
braces of square section to arcade plate. At truss to N, reversed assembly in
mainspan. Rafter holes in the S sides of the rafters confirm the evidence of the
blocked doorway, that the 'high end' of the hall was to the N. (J. McCann, The
Purpose of Rafter Holes, Vernacular Architecture 9, 1978, 26). The N crosswing
may be original. One post exposed on the stair, on the site of the former E
aisle, has a matrix apparently of a notched lap joint, although now filled with
cement and partly obscured. The roof of the crosswing has been raised approx.
1.30 metres and rebuilt in butt-purlin form. The stair tower retains one
original window with ovolo-moulded jamb, lintel and 2 mullions, blocked by the
C18 extension to the E. This house was probably built by Robert Bourchier, Lord
Chancellor of England, who acquired the manor by marriage, held his first court
in 1329, and died in 1349. (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of Essex,
1768, I, 401). Moated site. RCHM 3.
Listing NGR: TL9443011658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings