This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.0418 / 50°2'30"N
Longitude: -5.2266 / 5°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 169070
OS Northings: 20731
OS Grid: SW690207
Mapcode National: GBR Z3.SJ50
Mapcode Global: VH13J.C68S
Entry Name: Clocktower, Coach Houses and Stabling at Approx 25m South-West of Manor House
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141752
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65166
Location: Cury, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Cury
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Cury with Gunwalloe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 SE CURY
3/7 Clocktower, coach houses and
10.7.57 stabling at approx 25m south-west
of Manor House
Clocktower, coach houses and stabling, now converted to holiday accommodation. Circa
mid and late C19. Serpentine ashlar and rubble with granite sills, lintels and
voussoirs. Dry Delabole and scantle slate roofs with gables except at corners. One
serpentine ashlar chimney.
Overall U-shaped plan on 3 sides of a courtyard and with a gateway on the fourth
side. West range has tall 2-stage square clocktower adjoining at right (north) and 2
slightly projecting cross wings with room over adjoining clocktower and left (south)
of middle. South range has courtyard front (north) on granite piers, originally
open, but infilled C20 between piers. East range is similar but courtyard front
(west) is supported on iron stanchions. Section of wall and gateway enclose the
fourth (north) side.
Single storey. West range east front of 1:1:2:1 bays plus clocktower built forward
on right. Second from left and right bay is principal wide coach entrance with
elliptical arched doorway, small window to gable of reduced width over (further gable
rear with chimney). Further doorways to left and right-hand bays and to south wall
of tower, otherwise windows. C20 doors and glazing. The tower has small latticed
windows to lower part of upper stack and square blind opening above except to east
which has original clock face. Embattled parapet with louvred spire over middle of
Interior not inspected.
The clocktower, it has been suggested, was possibly built in 1887 to commemorate
Queen Victoria's, 50th year as Monarch, and one of a number of Jubilee towers built
at this time.
These buildings are part of a substantial planned C19 group relating to Bochym Manor
Listing NGR: SW6907020731
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings