This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.0457 / 50°2'44"N
Longitude: -5.2187 / 5°13'7"W
OS Eastings: 169654
OS Northings: 21138
OS Grid: SW696211
Mapcode National: GBR Z5.3680
Mapcode Global: VH13J.H3FS
Entry Name: Bonython Manor House
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Last Amended: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65170
Location: Cury, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Cury
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Cury with Gunwalloe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 SE CURY
3/11 Bonython Manor House (formerly listed
- as Bonython House)
Country house. Circa 1790 probably incorporating walls of earlier house in rear wing
and possibly on old foundations at front. Built for John Trevenen, possibly by
William Wood, a pupil of Thomas Edwards. Granite ashlar to front, otherwise rendered
and painted. Hipped tiled roofs with parapet to front, granite ashlar chimneys; one
stack over each side wall and 2 lateral stacks over right-hand wall of rear wing.
Overall L-shaped plan of double depth house to front and service wing to rear of
right-hand side. Main house has 2 equal reception rooms flanking central entrance
hall leading to large central rear stair hall with secondary reception rooms to left
and right. Through passage separates main house from 3-storey service wing 2-room
plan deep and 1-room wide with service stair near angle. The service wing is
possibly the surviving upper end (hall and inner room) of a circa late medieval house
with 2 lateral hearths but remodelled and heightened in the late C18. A circa 1805
picture shows a narrower low thatched extension at the rear end of the wing, since
2 storeys over basement. Symmetrical 2:1:2 bay south-west front with central
entrance bay slightly broken forward and surmounted by triangular pediment. Basement
as plinth with dressed granite lintels over windows. Shallow arches with projecting
keystones to bays left and right. Parapet over moulded cornice, plain coping and
ball finials over corners. Central bay has wide doorway spanned by elliptical arch
rusticated jambstones and voussoirs; double panelled doors flanked by original
patterned glazed sidelights and with original spoked and elliptically glazed fanlight.
Venetian window over with fanlight glazed lunette. Otherwise original 12-pane
hornless sashes with much crown glass except for later copies to basement. A flight
of converging granite steps bridges basement courtyard to front doorway, wrought iron
balustrade to either side adjoining stanchions linked by chains surmounting granite
coped basement courtyard retaining wall.
Rear has C18 sashes with glazing bars, Venetian window to main stair and round-headed
window to service stair.
Interior retains most of its C18 carpentry and joinery details and plasterwork, much
of which is of a very fine quality. Highly enriched complex moulded cornices
to front reception rooms and entrance hall; panelled walls and elliptical arched
niche to right-hand room; distyle in antae elliptical arched doorway with fluted
columns and acanthus capitals between entrance hall and stair hall. Geometric
cantilevered open-well open-string stick baluster stair with mahogany handrail
wreathed over curtail bottom step; treads with cornices, shaped bracket ends and
guttae. Ceiling over stair with modillions to cornice. Moulded cornices to
principal chambers including first floor chamber in service wing and chair rails to
most rooms. Original chimney-pieces in 2 of the chambers, otherwise fireplaces are
later replacements including fine circa mid C18 chimney-piece inserted to basement
and circa 1840's chimney-piece with ornate iron grate in left-hand reception room.
Original doors with door furniture and window shutters with inner bead moulding.
Fanlight in internal partition between inner vestibule and room behind right-hand
room; wine cellar behind left-hand basement with its original tiered niches, and
adjoining to right is a pantry with dowelled ventilator over partition. Rear ground
floor service room has large lateral hearth with bread oven.
The Bonythons are first recorded in 1277 and can trace a continuous line of descent
from 1370. Reconstructed circa 1600 by Reskmer Bonython and sold by Richard Bonython
in 1720. Bought by Captain Joseph Lyle in 1837, 2 descendants of whom (sisters)
married 2 brothers of the well known architectural family, which included James Wyatt
PRA and Sir Jeffrey Wyattville among its members, and is still held by a descendant
of the same family, but the name later reverting to Lyle under a name and arms clause
condition made in a will dated 1837.
Listing NGR: SW6965421138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings