This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8486 / 51°50'54"N
Longitude: 0.2806 / 0°16'50"E
OS Eastings: 557183
OS Northings: 219125
OS Grid: TL571191
Mapcode National: GBR MF8.5RC
Mapcode Global: VHHLX.TS6Q
Plus Code: 9F32R7XJ+C6
Entry Name: Complex of Farm Buildings West of Peckers Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352687
Location: Great Canfield, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Great Canfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Canfield St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD GREEN STREET
2/8 COMPLEX OF FARM BUILDINGS
W OF PECKERS FARMHOUSE
Integrated range of farm buildings, late C19. Yellow stock bricks
ornamented with bands of red bricks and red moulded wall tiles, with roofs
of slate. 'A mid-Victorian "industrial" version of the familiar U-pattern
farmstead which established itself in the late eighteenth century'
(Harvey). Stables, 2 barns, shelter shed, dairy and ancillary buildings
forming a square yard open towards the farmhouse on the SE, and a separate
block of pigsties and wagon shed forming an L-plan to the SW, the
intermediate foldyard enclosed by brick walls between the blocks.
NE elevation - rear wall of one block divided into 5 bays by brick pilasters,
with a band of red bricks and red moulded tiles of foliate design below
the eaves; and the gable end of one barn with 2 brick pilasters, the pediment
outlined by a band of red moulded tiles of egg-and-dart design, with a
central recessed square panel containing red moulded tiles of foliate design.
Both barns retain all original doors and winnowing boards. The shelter shed
on SW side of main block retains a scalloped wooden canopy, although blocked
in below. All interiors are in unusually intact condition, with original
feed chutes and other features. The whole complex was built between 1874
and 1895 (O.S. maps), the main block probably very early in this period,
the pigsty block probably added later in the period, by the Maryon-Wilson
family, landlords, to serve a tenant farm which comprised 231 acres in
1847 (tithe award). Harvey: letter of 23 December 1982 from Dr. Nigel
Harvey, Honorary Librarian of the Royal Agricultural Society of England.
Listing NGR: TL5718319125
Other nearby listed buildings