This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1479 / 50°8'52"N
Longitude: -5.0983 / 5°5'53"W
OS Eastings: 178747
OS Northings: 32135
OS Grid: SW787321
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.HV95
Mapcode Global: FRA 086M.HMM
Entry Name: Menehay House
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66426
Location: Budock, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Budock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Budock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE BUDOCK
3/10 Menehay House
Small country house, probably formerly a farmhouse. Probably C18, remodelled circa
early-mid C19 and in the C20. Stuccoed walls. Dry Delabole slate and grouted
scantle slate L-plan hipped roof. Rendered brick stacks over original end walls.
Cast-iron ogee-section gutters.
Plan: Double-depth overall L-shaped plan. Original house has probably 2 front rooms
flanking an entrance hall. Circa early C19 the plan was probably deepened and a
service wing was added or remodelled at right angles behind the right-hand side and
an axial passage between the right-hand room and the rear wing leads to a central
stair hall. Probably later in the C19 a lean-to was added on the left of the house;
this was heightened in the C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Overall 6-window south-south-east front. Original symmetrical
5-window front (right) with central doorway. Probably C20 glazed door within wooden
doorcase. Circa early-mid C19 12-pane hornless sashes in probable C18 openings.
There is another similar sash at ground floor left and to the right-hand wall (first
floor right) of the rear wing. Other windows are late C19 or C20 horned sashes with
glazing bars, including 2-storey canted bay at right-hand return wall of right-hand
side of the house. Possibly other old windows at rear (not inspected).
Interior not inspected.
Menehay is on an ancient site. In 1327 called "Menehy" on Lay Subsidy Rolls (PRO).
Source: Reseach notes lent by Jane Pollard.
Listing NGR: SW7874732135
Other nearby listed buildings