This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1502 / 50°9'0"N
Longitude: -5.1002 / 5°6'0"W
OS Eastings: 178622
OS Northings: 32396
OS Grid: SW786323
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.HMGP
Mapcode Global: FRA 086M.8WD
Plus Code: 9C2P5V2X+3W
Entry Name: Church of Saint Budock
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66441
Location: Budock, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Budock
Built-Up Area: Falmouth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Budock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE BUDOCK BUDOCK WATER
3/25 Church of Saint Budock
Parish church. Parts of chancel and south transept C13, otherwise C15, restored in
the late C19. Granite ashlar south porch, otherwise granite rubble with granite
dressings Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends.
Plan: C13 chancel (parts of east and south walls) and south transept; C15 nave, west
tower, north aisle and south porch. Nave and transept re-roofed in the C19.
Exterior: Complete C15 3-stage embattled and pinnacled west tower with weathered
diagonal corner buttresses, steep 4-centred arched west doorway, 3-light
Perpendicular window over doorway and similar traceried 2-light window to upper
stage. Church has C15 doors and C15 outer frames of windows with mullions and
tracery replaced in the C19. C13 lancet opening in the south wall of the chancel and
another in the east wall of the south transept. South porch doorway has octagonal
panelled jambs and remains of traceried head over 4-centred arched inner doorway and
basket-arched north doorway. C19 doors.
Interior: Plastered interior largely unaltered since the C18. C13 responds with
engaged shafts to south transept arch with C15 chamfered pointed arch over; C13
piscina to south wall of chancel and another to south wall of nave; C15 4-centred
arched arcade with fillets between 4 engaged shafts to the monolithic piers, between
nave and north aisle. Old roof over probably C18 plaster barrel vault over north
aisle, otherwise C19 arch-braced roofs.
Fittings: Late medieval carved base of oak rood screen with original painted panels
with old paint (upper part restored in the C20). 2 late medieval carved oak bench
ends; complete set of probably C18 box pews with fielded panels. Probably C20
granite front and C20 pulpit.
Memorial windows include east chancel window to Robert John Kinsman, Esq. and Susanna
his wife, dated 1855; another to Miss Fox of Pennance Cottage.
Monuments: Brass (chancel floor) to John Killigrew, died 1567, the first captain of
Pendennis Castle, and Elizabeth (Trewinnard), his wife; tombstone and alabaster wall
monument to Sir John Killigrew (erected 1617) of Arwenack, Knight, 26th year in reign
of Elizabeth, second captain of Pendennis Fort.
Listing NGR: SW7862232396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings