This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1576 / 50°9'27"N
Longitude: -5.2121 / 5°12'43"W
OS Eastings: 170662
OS Northings: 33556
OS Grid: SW706335
Mapcode National: GBR Z4.W7YM
Mapcode Global: VH12Y.L9YJ
Entry Name: Medlyn Moor Mine Engine House and Balance-Bob Setting to South East
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Last Amended: 26 March 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66318
Location: Wendron, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Wendron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Wendron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
17-JUN-88 Medlyn Moor Mine engine house and bala
nce-bob setting to south east
(Formerly listed as:
Medlyn Moor Engine House at SW706335)
Beam engine house for pumping engine. Circa 1873. Granite rubble with granite dressings. Timber lintels and with round brick arches to front [bob wall] and rear doorway. Rubble chimney with echinus moulded cornice to brick collar and brick upper stage.
PLAN: rectangular plan engine house with thicker bob wall and external round-on-plan chimney engaged to right-hand side of rear wall. Two parallel walls at a little distance in front of the engine house are the balance-bob setting and are included in the listing of this engine house. The shaft still has its C19 round rubble enclosing wall. Machinery, floors and roof of engine house have been removed.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys over basement plinth. Central round-headed doorway to bob wall and similar doorway to rear gable; otherwise square-headed openings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Medlyn Moor Mine was formerly an important stream ground which was developed underground from 1846 with the aid of a waterwheel that was used to sink a shaft 10 fathoms deep. 15 tons of tin were returned, but problems keeping the workings free of water resulted in the erection of a 30" steam engine in 1846 which continued in use until 1854 when the mine closed, but recommenced in 1873 when the existing engine house was built to accommodate a 40" engine. The mine finally closed in 1879.
Other nearby listed buildings