This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1549 / 50°9'17"N
Longitude: -5.1921 / 5°11'31"W
OS Eastings: 172075
OS Northings: 33190
OS Grid: SW720331
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.677K
Mapcode Global: FRA 080M.316
Entry Name: Edgcumbe Methodist Church Including Churchyard Wall at the Front and the Sides
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66305
Location: Wendron, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: Wendron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mabe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SW WENDRON
5/432 Edgcumbe Methodist Church,
- including churchyard wall at the
front and the sides
Wesleyan chapel. Datestone 1885. Dressed rock-faced granite brought to course, with
granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate hipped roof with pedimented gable in the
middle of the front gable end at rear. Cast-iron gutters.
Plan: Rectangular aisle-less plan with basement schoolroom under and entrance into
2-storey porch at right-hand side of chapel with its doorway approached by a wide
ramp from the front courtyard. Italianate style.
Exterior: 2 storeys (principal floor over basement schoolroom). Symmetrical 1:1 bay
road front with pedimented central bay broken forward. Plinth, moulded mid floor
string, ashlar band and moulded cornices to the pediments. Central bay has 3-light
Venetian window with coloured glass with marginal panes. (Similar single light to
basement window under). Otherwise windows are C20 in original segmentally-headed
openings with moulded voussoirs and projecting keystones, moulded eaves cornices.
Similar window openings in the side walls, some still with original windows. Porch
has wide central arched doorway with original panelled doors and open pedimented
Interior: Not inspected but may have its original fittings. Front courtyard walls
are rockfaced granite with dressed granite copings and piers. Central part of wall
is lower and surmounted by original cot-iron railings. There is a central gateway
with square-on-plan piers and ornate cast-iron gates. Gate-piers and terminal piers
have elaborate pyramidal caps. Side walls are rubble with dressed granite copings.
The ramp has its original wrought-iron railings.
Listing NGR: SW7207533190
Other nearby listed buildings