This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1307 / 50°7'50"N
Longitude: -5.1165 / 5°6'59"W
OS Eastings: 177364
OS Northings: 30270
OS Grid: SW773302
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.6WP9
Mapcode Global: FRA 085N.VY5
Plus Code: 9C2P4VJM+7C
Entry Name: Penwarne House
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142101
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66163
Location: Mawnan, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mawnan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mawnan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE MAWNAN
6/181 Penwarne House
County house. Late C18, extended circa mid C19. Stuccoed, elevations, granite ashlar
basement as plinth to the front. Dry slate Delabole slate at rear, hipped roofs with
2 hipped roof dormers behind. Stuccoed parapet at the front. Stuccoed chimney with
modillioned cornices over side walls left and right of main block. The right-hand
chimney is fatter.
Plan: Symmetrical U-shaped plan plus lower circa mid-C19 1-room plan wing on the
right with C20 service rooms behind. In the main double depth block there are 2
equal-sized reception rooms at the front flanking a wide entrance hall leading to a
large stair hall between 2 service rooms with a l-room-plan wing at right angles
behind each room. Classical style.
Exterior: 2 storeys, plus attic over basement, 2:1:2:1 bay south-east front with
ahlar basement as plinth, rusticated stucco quoins and dentilled moulded parapet
cornices to panelled parapets. The first 5 bays are taller; the central bay is
broken forward and surmounted by a triangular pediment. Central doorway has original
6-panel door with fielded panels and fanlight over. In front of the doorway is a
distyle Ionic porch with open triangular pediment. The porch is approached by a
flight of 5 granite steps. Lower wing on the right is set back slightly and has
similar parapet to that of the main block but over the parapet is a hipped roof with
wide eaves and there is a central 2-light window piercing the parapet panel. The
large ground floor window opening has moulded jambs with consoles carrying a
segmentally-headed pediment as hood (similar window to right-hand return wall. The
principal windows of the front are original 12-pane hornless sashes with thin glazing
bars. There are internal shutters to the ground floor windows. Windows of other
elevations are also original including tripartite sashes to rear of rear wings.
Round-headed stair sash has marginal panes and may be of a later date. Slatehanging
to the rear wall between the wings. Rear courtyard has blind windows to the walls of
the wings and hipped roof dormers above these windows and above the stair windows.
Interior: Retains most of its original C18 and C19 features including: mahogany
panelled doors with original door furniture; plaster ceiling cornices with dentils in
the reception areas; elliptical archway between hall and stair hall and open-well
open string stair with shaped ramps to the handrail and fluted stick balusters.
Listing NGR: SW7736430270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings