This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1151 / 50°6'54"N
Longitude: -5.2152 / 5°12'54"W
OS Eastings: 170233
OS Northings: 28840
OS Grid: SW702288
Mapcode National: GBR Z4.YTBV
Mapcode Global: VH134.KC8M
Entry Name: Polglase Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66110
Location: Gweek, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Gweek
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Wendron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW GWEEK
8/130 Polglase Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C18. Granite rubble with granite dressings. Corrugated asbestos roofs :
steep roof (formerly thatched) over original house with rubble stacks over the gable
ends ; lower pitched roof over later C18 cottage on the left and bricks chimney over
the gable end. Cast-iron ogee gutters.
Plan: Overall L-shaped plan. Original farmhouse on the right is a double-depth plan
with wider kitchen on the left and parlour on the right with cross passage between
leading to central rear stair hall with service room at either side. Circa late C18
or possibly early C19 a large 1-room plan cottage was added on the left hand side.
In the C20 this cottage was linked by a small extension to a former outbuilding (C18
or early C19) to provide a new kitchen. Large C20 conservatory at the front.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Overall 5 window south front. Original farmhouse on the right
has nearly symmetrical 3 window front with doorway central to fenestration C20 door.
C20 copies of original 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes. Cottage front has 3
original similar windows. Large conservatory along the front.
Interior: Some remodelling in the C20 including replacement of partitions and first
floor structure. Original fireplace structures, stairs and roof structures survive.
Original kitchen/living rom fireplace has large granite domed oven to left-hand side.
Dog-leg stairs have rectangular balusters. Roof structure is close-spaced. Lapped
and pegged A trusses with battens between for thatch.
Listing NGR: SW7023328840
Other nearby listed buildings